Old 29-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Carl Harrison

Default Sand Filter and High Ammonia

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why a brand new sand filter that was added to
polish the water would increase the ammonia levels in a 3,000 gallon
pond. Prior to adding the sand filter the water quality was perfect.

Cheers
Old 30-05-2004, 03:07 AM
RichToyBox

The sand filter should not have any effect on the ammonia when new, and as
it grunges up, should help to lower ammonia and nitrites. Did you have a
spawn or a significant power outage that caused the high ammonia?
--
RichToyBox
m...

Old 30-05-2004, 07:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And, is the old filter still running? Pressure filters eat up buffer,
perhaps your buffering (KH) is down causing a pH crash and this would cause
ammonia not to be process by the bacteria in your old filter. ~ jan

Old 02-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Carl Harrison

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in message ws.com...
And, is the old filter still running? Pressure filters eat up buffer,
perhaps your buffering (KH) is down causing a pH crash and this would cause
ammonia not to be process by the bacteria in your old filter. ~ jan

Old filter is still running, the new sand filter has been added
between exit from old filter and return to pond.

The sand filter should not have any effect on the ammonia when new, and as
it grunges up, should help to lower ammonia and nitrites. Did you have a
spawn or a significant power outage that caused the high ammonia?

No spawning or power outages.

Tests showed zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate a PH of 7.5 before
fitting sand filter. Three days after fitting sand filter ammonia
almost off the scale, minimal nitrite, zero nitrate and a PH of 7.5
have not checked KH.

Carl
Old 02-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Carl Harrison

Did you accidently kill all the old bacteria in the old filter (left pump off
too long, let dry out, ...)?

Old filter is working perfectly. Readings in last chamber show zero
ammonia and nitrite, water is then pumped into sand filter and through
to pond where reading is high ammonia. If I bypass the sand filter the
ammonia level in the pond is back to zero in 2 or 3 days.

Maybe I am getting dead spots in the sand ? I will reduce the sand and
try again.

Carl
Old 02-06-2004, 08:03 AM
*muffin*

we use a sand filter.
and do not have problems with ammonia.

that said.

it worked a heck of a lot better last season, with OLD sand in it, that was
sitting in the filter for years,, backflushed perfectly etc.
this year we decide to use NEW sand.. now it gives us "heebies".
it just doesn't seem to grab the stuff going through it, we backflush it &
it seems clear,, restart it & gunk flows into the pond. Hubby read that it
sometimes gets 'channels' in the sand , (grumble). sooo we have resorted to
taking the top OFF of the filter stirring the sand up & then backflushing
it, the gunk then flows out when its supposed to.. the filter is doing its
job, as the backflush is gunky,, but, for some reason it won't backflush
properly on its own.

now as to your ammonia problem,, any chance the sand, for some reason had
some additive to it? maybe you can get another bag of it & test the water
that would sit with it in a bucket ??
even with a TON of toads mating this spring we didn't have an ammonia spike.

btw, we also have a bio filter running,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just to be pond
"politically correct",, nowadays.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Carl Harrison

Hi,

I am now trying with a little less sand in, will see how it goes.

Regarding new sand and your problem I suspect that the ols sand had
become worn and lost its sharp edges enabling it to sit closer
together therby trapping everything passing through. New sand will be
sharper and thus leave bigger gaps. I would suggest adding more sand
but that may lead to the same problem I have. It should improve for
you once the sand has worn a little.

Carl
Old 03-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Carl Harrison

I am curently using silica sand in the filter and honestly had not
thought of using different sand.

After having the sand filter on and off for five days it has now been
operative continuously for 24 hours and (touchwood) no signs of the
dreaded ammonia.

I did add four new fish last weekend but as they are only 6 inches
long compared to the five existing fish of 24 inches plus I do not
expect the loading on the filter to rise much.

I will post any changes as soon as.

Carl