Old 03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
mastal

Default English Ivy

Please, please don't plant english ivy! It really will take over!
That said, there are other ivies that are quite well behaved and are
easy to maintain. I have one that I bought at the grocery store years ago,
in the floral department. It's gradually spreading but is quite easy to keep
in bounds. I don't know the variety, but it has light green and white
varigated leaves, and the leaves are smaller than those on english ivy.
--
Martha Stallmann

"Jo" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of something similar, but wondering if I grow it in

containers
and cut back continually can it be controlled?
I have several ivy's in small containers in my house and they have stayed
small, not sure if it is because of no room for roots to grow.

"Jason Jones" wrote in message
m...
: I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
: existing poison ivy and poison oak.
:
: Thanks
:
: "Will Cook" wrote in message
: ...
: English Ivy is a noxious weed around here -- once it gets established

it
: smothers everything and is extremely difficult to get rid of. If it's
: allowed to grow up trees it will seed and be spread by birds to
: undisturbed woodlands. It works well as a ground cover, but if you're
: interested in gardening or growing wildlowers in the future, you'll
regret
: it. Please be be kind to your neighbors (and future generations) and
: consider pulling it up now while you have the chance.
:
: Here's some more information about the problems English Ivy causes and
how
: to get rid of it:
: http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/hehe1.htm
: http://www.noivyleague.com/
:
: Jason Jones wrote:
: I've planted some English Ivy in the semi shady part of my yard.
Every
: other vine (poison ivy, honeysuckle) has done well in the same area.
:
: I expected the ivy to branch and cover the ground, but its done very
: little.
:
: Help?
:
: JJ
:
: --
: Charles W. "Will" Cook w 919-660-7423
: http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook
: Box 90340, Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708
:
: