Old 30-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Jason Jones

Default English Ivy

I've planted some English Ivy in the semi shady part of my yard. Every
other vine (poison ivy, honeysuckle) has done well in the same area.

I expected the ivy to branch and cover the ground, but its done very little.

Help?

JJ

Old 30-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Marcy Hege

First year, sleeps.
Second year, creeps.
Third year, leaps.

And eventually, ivy will cover and smother everything in its path.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Will Cook

English Ivy is a noxious weed around here -- once it gets established it
smothers everything and is extremely difficult to get rid of. If it's
allowed to grow up trees it will seed and be spread by birds to
undisturbed woodlands. It works well as a ground cover, but if you're
interested in gardening or growing wildlowers in the future, you'll regret
it. Please be be kind to your neighbors (and future generations) and
consider pulling it up now while you have the chance.

Here's some more information about the problems English Ivy causes and how
to get rid of it:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/hehe1.htm
http://www.noivyleague.com/

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook
Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Jason Jones

I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
existing poison ivy and poison oak.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Jo

I am thinking of something similar, but wondering if I grow it in containers
and cut back continually can it be controlled?
I have several ivy's in small containers in my house and they have stayed
small, not sure if it is because of no room for roots to grow.

"Jason Jones" wrote in message
m...
: I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
: existing poison ivy and poison oak.
:
: Thanks
:
: ...
: Jason Jones wrote:
: I've planted some English Ivy in the semi shady part of my yard.
Every
: other vine (poison ivy, honeysuckle) has done well in the same area.
:
: I expected the ivy to branch and cover the ground, but its done very
: little.
:
: Help?
:
: JJ
:
: --

Old 03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
mastal

Please, please don't plant english ivy! It really will take over!
That said, there are other ivies that are quite well behaved and are
easy to maintain. I have one that I bought at the grocery store years ago,
in the floral department. It's gradually spreading but is quite easy to keep
in bounds. I don't know the variety, but it has light green and white
varigated leaves, and the leaves are smaller than those on english ivy.
--
Martha Stallmann

"Jo" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of something similar, but wondering if I grow it in

containers
and cut back continually can it be controlled?
I have several ivy's in small containers in my house and they have stayed
small, not sure if it is because of no room for roots to grow.

"Jason Jones" wrote in message
m...
: I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
: existing poison ivy and poison oak.
:
: Thanks
:
: ...

Old 03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Jo

Oh, if you get the name of them, please pass it along.

"mastal" wrote in message
: Please, please don't plant english ivy! It really will take over!
: That said, there are other ivies that are quite well behaved and are
: easy to maintain. I have one that I bought at the grocery store years ago,
: in the floral department. It's gradually spreading but is quite easy to
keep
: in bounds. I don't know the variety, but it has light green and white
: varigated leaves, and the leaves are smaller than those on english ivy.
: --
: Martha Stallmann
:
: "Jo" wrote in message
: om...
: I am thinking of something similar, but wondering if I grow it in
: containers
: and cut back continually can it be controlled?
: I have several ivy's in small containers in my house and they have
stayed
: small, not sure if it is because of no room for roots to grow.
:
:
: "Jason Jones" wrote in message
: m...
: : I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
: : existing poison ivy and poison oak.
: :
: : Thanks
: :
: : ...
: : Jason Jones wrote:
: : I've planted some English Ivy in the semi shady part of my yard.
: Every
: : other vine (poison ivy, honeysuckle) has done well in the same
area.
: :
: : I expected the ivy to branch and cover the ground, but its done
very
: : little.
: :
: : Help?
: :
: : JJ
: :
: : --

Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Anne Lurie

Um, Jo, unless you really want to devote your time 24/7 to keeping ivy under
control (in which case, come on over, I'll happily feed you lunch & hand you
the tools to deal with my ivy here), I suggest that you might want to
consider something else.

I thought I "liked" ivy when I was in the northern climes, but now that I
have seen what it can do............. not so much anymore.

Just my $.02 (where did that dang "cents" key go, anyway?),

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Jo" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of something similar, but wondering if I grow it in

containers
and cut back continually can it be controlled?
I have several ivy's in small containers in my house and they have stayed
small, not sure if it is because of no room for roots to grow.

"Jason Jones" wrote in message
m...
: I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
: existing poison ivy and poison oak.
:
: Thanks
:
: ...

Old 04-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Jo

Perhaps I will keep it indoors then.
But we could have a Ivy chopping party at your place.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
m...
: Um, Jo, unless you really want to devote your time 24/7 to keeping ivy
under
: control (in which case, come on over, I'll happily feed you lunch & hand
you
: the tools to deal with my ivy here), I suggest that you might want to
: consider something else.
:
: I thought I "liked" ivy when I was in the northern climes, but now that I
: have seen what it can do............. not so much anymore.
:
: Just my $.02 (where did that dang "cents" key go, anyway?),
:
: Anne Lurie
: NE Raleigh
:
:
:
: "Jo" wrote in message
: om...
: I am thinking of something similar, but wondering if I grow it in
: containers
: and cut back continually can it be controlled?
: I have several ivy's in small containers in my house and they have
stayed
: small, not sure if it is because of no room for roots to grow.
:
:
: "Jason Jones" wrote in message
: m...
: : I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
: : existing poison ivy and poison oak.
: :
: : Thanks
: :
: : ...

Old 09-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Myrmecodia

"Jason Jones" wrote in message om...
I'm looking to use it as a ground cover. It got to be better than the
existing poison ivy and poison oak.

You'll regret it when it starts climbing! We just spent the better
part of a year ripping out ivy that a previous owner of our house put
in. Several trees were close to being completely smothered, and the
ivy was well on its way to covering our one-acre lot. Now that the
ivy is gone, wild orchids and solomon's seal are starting to reappear.

If you are in a wooded area, how about mulching to keep down the
poison ivy and then plant with woodland wildflowers?

Regards,

Nick

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
english ivy && deer Janet Baraclough Gardening 0 20-09-2003 08:22 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 01-12-2002 06:25 AM