Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Andrew G

Default Two-stoke mower maintenance

"MK" wrote in message
1.51...
Hi,

I have a '83 model Victa Charger that usually takes 20 or 30 pulls of the
cord to get going (that's fine - good exercise!) but has recently stopped

few times during the mowing.

After an hour then dipping the spark plug in petrol, it goes again, but I
noticed last time there was a lot of "soot" on the spark plug.

I can't really be bothered getting ripped off for a professional service,
so was hoping someone out there had some advice (or a URL with advice) on
DIY 2 stroke maintenance. The last proper service was about 10 years ago!

Replace the plug and if you have the know how remove the exhaust.
Mechanics at work remove the exhausts from our whippers and blowers all the
time, heat them up with an oxy (taking care to not melt or warp the
exhaust), then tap it with a hammer to remove all the carbon.
Failing that, the motor might be stuffed, or the carby, which I have no
idea, take it to a professional.

Having said that I had a ryobi scorpion whipper, that ran for about 10yrs
(at least once a month for about 1.5hrs), without a problem. Only last year
did I pull the plug out and check exhaust. Cleaned the plug, didn't touch
exhaust, still goes good. Shame about the bump feed mehcanism :-(
Anyway, I know a local dealer here that suggests running a ratio of 25:1 in
all 2 strokes, regardless of suggested manufacturers ratio. This gives them
business of a 10min job of cleaning carbon out of exhaust, and throwing in a
new plug for around $25.
I do run 25:1 however I can run the stihl at 50:1 when using stihl oil.
Chainsaw is a 40:1 (I think), but 25:1 is just easier with one can needed.

Cheers,

MK in Brisbane.