Old 26-05-2004, 11:12 AM
MK

Default Two-stoke mower maintenance

Hi,

I have a '83 model Victa Charger that usually takes 20 or 30 pulls of the
cord to get going (that's fine - good exercise!) but has recently stopped a
few times during the mowing.

After an hour then dipping the spark plug in petrol, it goes again, but I
noticed last time there was a lot of "soot" on the spark plug.

I can't really be bothered getting ripped off for a professional service,
so was hoping someone out there had some advice (or a URL with advice) on
DIY 2 stroke maintenance. The last proper service was about 10 years ago!

Cheers,

MK in Brisbane.
Old 26-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Rheilly Phoull

"MK" wrote in message
1.51...
Hi,

I have a '83 model Victa Charger that usually takes 20 or 30 pulls of the
cord to get going (that's fine - good exercise!) but has recently stopped

few times during the mowing.

After an hour then dipping the spark plug in petrol, it goes again, but I
noticed last time there was a lot of "soot" on the spark plug.

I can't really be bothered getting ripped off for a professional service,
so was hoping someone out there had some advice (or a URL with advice) on
DIY 2 stroke maintenance. The last proper service was about 10 years ago!

Cheers,

MK in Brisbane.

Sounds like the classic "worn out motor " to me.
A "Good service" won't fix that and if you have neglected it for 10 years
you should really consider a major repair or replacement.

--
Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

Old 26-05-2004, 08:04 PM
len gardener

g'day mk,

yup my sentaments exactly i also reckon it is a worn out motor the
only real remedy is a complete rebuild, there could also be worn
crankcase bearings involved + +.

not all proffesional mower repair services are rip off's but i must
agree there are a lot of sharlatons around, when i repaired mowers i
had a large following of customers reckon i must have been doing
something right huh? but i must admit it is probably going to pretty
hard for the end user to find the good guy in the pile.

there is no real servicing on a 2 stroke mower apart from keep the air
filter clean and use fresh mixed 2 stroke fuel at the correct mixing
rate.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 26-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Mitchell

Varoius things can cause that problem.
sometimes cleaning of the cylinder, cleaning of the pot. fitting
oversize rings if the cylinder is worn. Cleaning of the ports etc.

Regards,
Mitch

Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Andrew G

"MK" wrote in message
1.51...
Hi,

I have a '83 model Victa Charger that usually takes 20 or 30 pulls of the
cord to get going (that's fine - good exercise!) but has recently stopped

few times during the mowing.

After an hour then dipping the spark plug in petrol, it goes again, but I
noticed last time there was a lot of "soot" on the spark plug.

I can't really be bothered getting ripped off for a professional service,
so was hoping someone out there had some advice (or a URL with advice) on
DIY 2 stroke maintenance. The last proper service was about 10 years ago!

Replace the plug and if you have the know how remove the exhaust.
Mechanics at work remove the exhausts from our whippers and blowers all the
time, heat them up with an oxy (taking care to not melt or warp the
exhaust), then tap it with a hammer to remove all the carbon.
Failing that, the motor might be stuffed, or the carby, which I have no
idea, take it to a professional.

Having said that I had a ryobi scorpion whipper, that ran for about 10yrs
(at least once a month for about 1.5hrs), without a problem. Only last year
did I pull the plug out and check exhaust. Cleaned the plug, didn't touch
exhaust, still goes good. Shame about the bump feed mehcanism :-(
Anyway, I know a local dealer here that suggests running a ratio of 25:1 in
all 2 strokes, regardless of suggested manufacturers ratio. This gives them
business of a 10min job of cleaning carbon out of exhaust, and throwing in a
new plug for around $25.
I do run 25:1 however I can run the stihl at 50:1 when using stihl oil.
Chainsaw is a 40:1 (I think), but 25:1 is just easier with one can needed.

Cheers,

MK in Brisbane.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:08 AM
R.V.V.

On 26 May 2004 09:21:59 GMT, MK wrote:

Hi,

I have a '83 model Victa Charger that usually takes 20 or 30 pulls of the
cord to get going (that's fine - good exercise!) but has recently stopped a
few times during the mowing.

After an hour then dipping the spark plug in petrol, it goes again, but I
noticed last time there was a lot of "soot" on the spark plug.

I can't really be bothered getting ripped off for a professional service,
so was hoping someone out there had some advice (or a URL with advice) on
DIY 2 stroke maintenance. The last proper service was about 10 years ago!

Stick a new plug in it.
If it doesnt solve it you may have a fuel starvation / water in carb
problem.

Dave
--
Remote Vision
Low level Aerial Photography for $49
Old 05-06-2004, 09:02 AM
MC

Hi,

Just wondering, what is the correct ratio to mix my fuel and oil? (I have an
old 2-stroke Victa mower I inherited from my Grandmother - at least 10 yrs
old I 'spose?!)

Also, over the last 6 months or so, when I go to start the old beast, it
will start first pull, but then I have to let it idle for about 5 - 10
minutes (while it smokes the whole nieghbourhood out), before it actually
revs high enough to start the mowing! Once it's going it works a treat, but
getting it started like this is not making me popular with the neighbours!

Any ideas on how I could remedy this - cheaply?! Could it be that I am using
the incorrect mix of fuel and oil? A new spark plug? I'm not much good with
motors, but with a bit of guidance, I'll give it a go!

Cheers,
Mick

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day mk,

yup my sentaments exactly i also reckon it is a worn out motor the
only real remedy is a complete rebuild, there could also be worn
crankcase bearings involved + +.

not all proffesional mower repair services are rip off's but i must
agree there are a lot of sharlatons around, when i repaired mowers i
had a large following of customers reckon i must have been doing
something right huh? but i must admit it is probably going to pretty
hard for the end user to find the good guy in the pile.

there is no real servicing on a 2 stroke mower apart from keep the air
filter clean and use fresh mixed 2 stroke fuel at the correct mixing
rate.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 05-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Andrew G

"MC" none wrote in message ...
[...]

Since it starts first pull, then I'd say it's still in pretty good nick.
Could try a new plug, it wouldn't hurt, but then if it were me, I'd leave
well enough alone.
I wouldn't use anything other than 25:1 mix. I assume you are using that?
You could try starting it with slightly less revs, that may cut down the
smoke. A cold engine will not burn all the fuel efficiently, and full revs
may choke the engine a little, even though it may be suggested to start at
this setting. That would explain while it takes a little to get full revs,
and that's quite normal. Starting at less revs, then gradually bringing the
revs up over ten seconds (by feeding more throttle) may cut the smoke, and
will definitely prolong the life of the engine.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:04 PM
len gardener

g'day mick,

25:1 mix is the correct mix for it that ='s 40mil's of oil per 1litre
of petrol. make sure you are uisng only 2 stroke mower oil and not
maybe outboard oil. also check the filter maybe it needs cleaning or
replacing sounds like there is some restriction to air flow, could
also be a clogged up muffler and or exhaust port. outside of that you
may have to take it in for a mechanic to look ata new plug can do
wonders at times.

len

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:01:16 +1000, "MC" none wrote:

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 06-06-2004, 01:07 AM
MC

Thanks for your advice Andrew and Len! I will try your suggestions,
especially cleaning of the filter and maybe a new plug!

I'm also going to mix myself up a batch of "White Oil" from the recipe on
your site Len - for the citrus leaf-miner on my new Lime, Lemon and Orange
trees! The little buggers are right into them and I'm wanting to stay as
organic as possible!

Cheers,
Mick

news