Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Kathy

Default Brem and Carppie

If one was to set up a tank say a 50 gallon could you keep Bluegill or
Sunfish? What would you feed them?
I am really getting hooked on fish. The ponds are doing great on the porch
the yard one is coming along and will have fish, next spring I hope. The
house tank is running, but is empty of fish right now. And I have a beta
here on the desk that follows me around his tank to watch me. Yep, 3
goldfish from 3 grandkids several years ago sure have snowballed into a
hobby for us. Maybe everyone should give a grandparent a 3 gallon tank and a
betta in September for Grandparent Day! KathyAZ
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
om...
"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message

om...
Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

Ron

From my experiences crappie and sunfish are not aggressive to other
fish. I've raised various species of sunfish such as blue gills,
pumpkinseeds, and green sunfish. They all get along well. What's neat
is that species like the green sunfish set up territories but they
will compress their territories as more fish are added. So they dont
kill each other trying to defend a large spot. More fish just mean
more territories.

It's a shame that the sunfish family is dark on the top. Most people
enjoy koi and goldfish because they can see them from above which isnt
the case with berm. Sunfish are very smart fish, much smarter than the
carp family (koi, goldfish, etc). Sunfish in an aquarium will stare at
you and watch you and they are quite aware of your presence. As you
move along they will turn to watch you. One time in a fish store I
came upon a bluegill in a large aquarium. It was starring me down.
Everytime I moved to be able to see its side it turned to stare at me.
I left the fish and went to check out and as I was standing there I
had that wierd feeling that someone was watching me. I turned and sure
enough that bluegill was starring me down from 30 feet away.

Sam