Old 31-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Ron, KC4YOY

Default Brem and Carppie

Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence KC4YOY
Antique Radio Collector & Historian
NCI-5445

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com
Clough-Brengle equipment web page
http://CloughBrengle.homestead.com
CC-AWA Web Page,
http://www.cc-awa.org

Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message
m...
Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

snip

I don't know if these species are compatible, but I would suggest if you are
introducing wild-caught fish to your pond, you should quarantine them for
awhile first to be sure you are not bringing any hitchhikers along with the
new fish.

BV.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Sam Hopkins

"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message om...
Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

Ron

From my experiences crappie and sunfish are not aggressive to other
fish. I've raised various species of sunfish such as blue gills,
pumpkinseeds, and green sunfish. They all get along well. What's neat
is that species like the green sunfish set up territories but they
will compress their territories as more fish are added. So they dont
kill each other trying to defend a large spot. More fish just mean
more territories.

It's a shame that the sunfish family is dark on the top. Most people
enjoy koi and goldfish because they can see them from above which isnt
the case with berm. Sunfish are very smart fish, much smarter than the
carp family (koi, goldfish, etc). Sunfish in an aquarium will stare at
you and watch you and they are quite aware of your presence. As you
move along they will turn to watch you. One time in a fish store I
came upon a bluegill in a large aquarium. It was starring me down.
Everytime I moved to be able to see its side it turned to stare at me.
I left the fish and went to check out and as I was standing there I
had that wierd feeling that someone was watching me. I turned and sure
enough that bluegill was starring me down from 30 feet away.

Sam
Old 04-06-2004, 04:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Sunfish are very smart fish, much smarter than the
carp family (koi, goldfish, etc). Sunfish in an aquarium will stare at
you and watch you

Not arguing the smartness factor, but I've had young koi in aquariums swim
to the glass when I approach and wag their tails as furiously as a new
puppy to get fed. Always worked on me too. ) ~ jan

Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Kathy

If one was to set up a tank say a 50 gallon could you keep Bluegill or
Sunfish? What would you feed them?
I am really getting hooked on fish. The ponds are doing great on the porch
the yard one is coming along and will have fish, next spring I hope. The
house tank is running, but is empty of fish right now. And I have a beta
here on the desk that follows me around his tank to watch me. Yep, 3
goldfish from 3 grandkids several years ago sure have snowballed into a
hobby for us. Maybe everyone should give a grandparent a 3 gallon tank and a
betta in September for Grandparent Day! KathyAZ
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
om...
"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message

om...
Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

Ron

From my experiences crappie and sunfish are not aggressive to other

Old 04-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Mark Bannister

I kept both plus large mouth bass fry (bass are VERY fun) in a 50 gallon
aquarium many years ago. They will learn to eat just about anything but
prefer live. They need protien obviously. Small meal worms and other
kinds of bugs work. I also feed them regular fish food for protien
eating fish. The bream take to this better than the bass.

Kathy wrote:
If one was to set up a tank say a 50 gallon could you keep Bluegill or
Sunfish? What would you feed them?
I am really getting hooked on fish. The ponds are doing great on the porch
the yard one is coming along and will have fish, next spring I hope. The
house tank is running, but is empty of fish right now. And I have a beta
here on the desk that follows me around his tank to watch me. Yep, 3
goldfish from 3 grandkids several years ago sure have snowballed into a
hobby for us. Maybe everyone should give a grandparent a 3 gallon tank and a
betta in September for Grandparent Day! KathyAZ
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
om...

"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message

om...

Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

Ron

From my experiences crappie and sunfish are not aggressive to other

Old 05-06-2004, 05:04 AM
bluegill phil

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:34:30 GMT, "Ron, KC4YOY"
wrote:

Are wild Brim and Crappie safe for a pond with
Goldfish? The GF are all over 3 inches long
up to about 8 inches.

Ron

ive got some bluegills and fathead minnows in a 3500 gallon pond and
am enjoying alot the fatheads have a worryable death rate but the
sunfish are the toughest in north america the lowest disolved oxygen
totaly nitrite imune will stand humoungas salt levels. i stocked 100
(the min order localy) and 1 pound fatheads 200 to 300 in april into
the pond when it was only 6 weeks old and ive lost 1 bluegill and
about 30 fatheads so-far