Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Grape Vine

"J.Yates" wrote in message

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it

grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

Pruning Grape vines is an art in itself.

There are a number of different systems of pruning but basically they are
all similar......
Normally each year you allow a new leader to grow and in winter cut out the
old leader replacing it with the new one which you tie in to your framework.
When growth begins you allow only two shoots per node.
Summer pruning should consist of you allowing only one bunch of grapes per
shoot and stopping that shoot two leaves after the bunch. Any shoots that do
not have a bunch should be stopped after 5 leaves except, of course, for the
new leader.
For eating grapes you will then need to prune the bunches with a sharp pair
of small scissors to reduce the number of grapes so the remainder get
bigger.
Later in the season remove any leaves that are shading the grapes from the
sun.

Might be worth getting a good book on the subject.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....