Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
J.Yates

Default Grape Vine

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

Many thanks for any help
--
John

Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 PM
redclay

J.Yates wrote in message

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it

grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

Many thanks for any help
--
John

If you know any Greeks or Middle Eastern folks ask them if they want the
leaves to stuff. They will prune it for you and give you some very good
eats in return. If not you could prune to lower leaves sending strenght to
the new growth.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Sacha

On 4/6/04 20:33, in article , "J.Yates"
wrote:

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

We are growing a Canon Hall vine which is going to fruit for the first time
this year - after 3 years. My husband has just told me that he's 'pruned'
it and as this is one of my 'babies' I was in shock - oooh, it was awful!
However, he tells me that he did this to make sure the vine's efforts went
into grape production not stem and leaf production. Makes sense to me. BUT
watch this space!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Bob Hobden

"J.Yates" wrote in message

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it

grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

Pruning Grape vines is an art in itself.

There are a number of different systems of pruning but basically they are
all similar......
Normally each year you allow a new leader to grow and in winter cut out the
old leader replacing it with the new one which you tie in to your framework.
When growth begins you allow only two shoots per node.
Summer pruning should consist of you allowing only one bunch of grapes per
shoot and stopping that shoot two leaves after the bunch. Any shoots that do
not have a bunch should be stopped after 5 leaves except, of course, for the
new leader.
For eating grapes you will then need to prune the bunches with a sharp pair
of small scissors to reduce the number of grapes so the remainder get
bigger.
Later in the season remove any leaves that are shading the grapes from the
sun.

Might be worth getting a good book on the subject.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "J.Yates" contains these words:

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

Yes, but not until the fruit has set.

Leaving at least two leaves beyond the bunch, cut cleanly the lateral.
(Do this on both)

Check before you do the second cut that the vine isn't bleeding badly.

You can prune back a lot of the extra growth on the rest of the
laterals, which will encourage the grapes to grow to a decent size.

I'd recommend that you get a book on viticulture before the autumn -
well, ASAP really.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/