Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Grape Vine

The message
from "J.Yates" contains these words:

Two years ago I was given a small vine. I planted it and last year it grew
quite well with the roots outside the greenhouse and approx 8ft length in
greenhouse. This year its has taken off very well now being around a total
of 15ft and with two sets of small grapes showing. There are many nice
healthy leaves on it but I fear perhaps too many. Should I do any pruning
and if so how?

Yes, but not until the fruit has set.

Leaving at least two leaves beyond the bunch, cut cleanly the lateral.
(Do this on both)

Check before you do the second cut that the vine isn't bleeding badly.

You can prune back a lot of the extra growth on the rest of the
laterals, which will encourage the grapes to grow to a decent size.

I'd recommend that you get a book on viticulture before the autumn -
well, ASAP really.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/