Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 AM
escapee

Default St Augustine's invasion

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:37:43 GMT, jOhN opined:

From a Neil Sperry article about weed control:

"In St. Augustine turf:
Dallisgrass in St. Augustine is just about the only weed situation for
which we do not have reliable herbicidal control. MSMA kills St.
Augustine, so control of dallisgrass in St. Augustine becomes much more
difficult. "

Oh, Neil Sperry. That explains it. So, you are suggesting he kill the St.
Augustine with arsenic, then feed it...let me read your next thing he

As for the Scott's Turf Builder....????? My neighbor did manage to kill
two oak trees and retard the growth of another using it. However, he has
a solid St. Augustine yard except where he misses watering enough.

So, you recommend using something which will kill oak trees without giving that
little caveat? Quite irresponsible.

I have St. Augustine all over the place since I have extensive flower
beds and I find it easier to control than bermuda. I'd agree with the
post that recommended a durable divider that would withstand edging. The
St. Augustine only travels above the ground (unless it gets covered up)
and the runners are easy to yank either way.

That would be correct. Please do yourself a favor; stop reading Neil Sperry.

escapee wrote:

Huh? Please explain what MSMA is going to do to St. Augustine and why do you
recommend it. Then explain how Scott's Turf Builder with weed control is
beneficial to a lawn.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:38:53 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Spray with MSMA or put down Scott's Turf Builder with weed control.

"Dave-tx" wrote in message
ocaldomain...

I'm trying to fight runners from neighbors' St Augustine coming
through my fence and taking over my Zoysia, and thought I'd
solicit the group for advice/tips.

I'm considering lining the base of my fence with a metal or
plastic strip that will provide a physical barrier to neighboring
grasses. My only hesitation is in wondering if that will
restrict water flow (both in and out) during heavy rains, causing
excessive puddling.

Does anyone know if there's a soil nutrient balance that favors
zoysia over st augustine? How about other factors, such as
letting it bake in the summer without water, or mowing it very
low (zoysia likes being cut lower than StA, doesn't it?)?

What have some of you guys done for this situation?

Thanks
-Dave

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?