Old 05-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Andrew G

Default Two-stoke mower maintenance

"MC" none wrote in message ...
Hi,

Just wondering, what is the correct ratio to mix my fuel and oil? (I have

an
old 2-stroke Victa mower I inherited from my Grandmother - at least 10 yrs
old I 'spose?!)

Also, over the last 6 months or so, when I go to start the old beast, it
will start first pull, but then I have to let it idle for about 5 - 10
minutes (while it smokes the whole nieghbourhood out), before it actually
revs high enough to start the mowing! Once it's going it works a treat,

but
getting it started like this is not making me popular with the neighbours!

Any ideas on how I could remedy this - cheaply?! Could it be that I am

using
the incorrect mix of fuel and oil? A new spark plug? I'm not much good

with
motors, but with a bit of guidance, I'll give it a go!

Since it starts first pull, then I'd say it's still in pretty good nick.
Could try a new plug, it wouldn't hurt, but then if it were me, I'd leave
well enough alone.
I wouldn't use anything other than 25:1 mix. I assume you are using that?
You could try starting it with slightly less revs, that may cut down the
smoke. A cold engine will not burn all the fuel efficiently, and full revs
may choke the engine a little, even though it may be suggested to start at
this setting. That would explain while it takes a little to get full revs,
and that's quite normal. Starting at less revs, then gradually bringing the
revs up over ten seconds (by feeding more throttle) may cut the smoke, and
will definitely prolong the life of the engine.

Cheers,
Mick

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day mk,

yup my sentaments exactly i also reckon it is a worn out motor the
only real remedy is a complete rebuild, there could also be worn
crankcase bearings involved + +.

not all proffesional mower repair services are rip off's but i must
agree there are a lot of sharlatons around, when i repaired mowers i
had a large following of customers reckon i must have been doing
something right huh? but i must admit it is probably going to pretty
hard for the end user to find the good guy in the pile.

there is no real servicing on a 2 stroke mower apart from keep the air
filter clean and use fresh mixed 2 stroke fuel at the correct mixing
rate.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment