Old 05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
SAS567

Default Deer & Apple Trees?!

What should I do to keep the deer and other animals from eating my
newly planted apple trees. The trees are only about 4' and very
small. We live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and on a ravine that
gets quite alot of deer traffic. I saw some plastic mesh at the store
that the guy said keeps deer away.. ...a "deer repelling mesh that you
drape over the tree." Or, should I put a fence around the tree? How
high and what diameter do you suggest. How big does the tree have to
be before I don't need to worry?
Many thanks,
Joy

Hi Joy,
I also live in Mi. north of Detroit on 20, mostly wooded acres and have
many, many deer. When I plant any kind of new tree I put rabbit fence around it
and also on top of it. I also put a little extra birdfeed on the ground under
my bird feeders so the deer will have easily ready food. I still see them
eating some leaves off trees but not any of my special ones. I also have a 7'
fence around my veggie garden.
Good Luck,
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)