Old 06-06-2004, 04:06 AM
J Fortuna

Default Phal leaf loss question

I have this Phal that is loosing its leaves at an alarming rate. The leaves
turn yellow practically overnight, and this has happened to three of its
leaves over the course of about a month. It is growing one new leaf right
now as well, so at least one of those leaves will be replaced, and it's
still got a total of 4 other healthy leaves in addition to the new one.

This is the history of this Phal: I bought it on April 24th of this year.
Two weeks later the plant was experiencing some bud-blast, and I discovered
one mealybug on it. I treated the leaves with a mixture of rubbing alcohol +
dish soap + water. The plant was then repotted. During the repotting, I saw
one more critter, that looked like a little worm or caterpiller of some sort
in the root system. I killed that. The plant was treated with horticultural
oil. I have not seen any pests since then. The Phal is still in bloom, but
loosing some flowers, and it's loosing leaves. The leaves it is loosing are
toward the bottom, so that seems right, but 3 leaves seems like a lot to
loose.

Should I cut off the spike? Should I take another look at the root system --
to make sure that there are no bugs in the roots? It was repotted about a
month ago, but it's really not doing well now. Please advise.

Thanks,
Joanna