Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Janice

Default Stunted, yellowish veggies

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 02:13:37 GMT, midocr wrote:

Been lurking here for several years, absorbing and learning all I can
about gardening. Great group with lots of good info. I've always tried
to keep my gardens simple and easy to manage.

Here's my problem. For the second year now, about 2/3 of my garden
appears stunted and has a yellowish color to the plants, mostly
tomatoes, peppers and a few herbs. My veggie garden is small, only
about 25' X 25'. I border the whole thing with marigolds. The
marigolds on the south end are 3 times the size of the ones on the north
end. The entire garden gets equal sun exposure. I've had this garden
for about 10 years and only in the last 2 years has this problem showed
up. Just seems strange that only part of the garden is affected.

Any idea what I should look for or do? Thanks!

Beyond the nutrient or lack of nutrient or too much nutrient
questions, and diseases..

where is the garden in relation to your neighbors' properties.

where is it in relation to driveways, roads, neighbors's driveways?

There could be spray drift if the yellowed side say.. got some drift
from roundup.. I notice that plants in my yard that got hit by some
round up turned yellow when it was not enough to kill them, but
sickened them.

If they're contaminated by 24D.. they generally have contorted new
growth I guess.. maybe yellowing.

Soil contaminated with petroleum product causes yellowing of plants
and stunting when roots encounter it.

I don't know if the garden was near a place where it would have gotten
a lot of exhaust build up say over winter from cars "warming up", or
exactly what it would do, but would think it might be like petroleum
contamination.

There are so many different things it could be, and as another asked,
is it possible to post some pictures of the garden in context..
otherwise shots from different angles of the whole garden so it can be
seen in relation to its surroundings, and some closer shots of the
garden as a whole, then the affected area, and close ups on the plants
most affected. Don't want much do I? ;-) A picture will help, more
might help more. :-)

Janice