Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Laser6328

Default Compost Questions

re "Compost Starter Mix"

Bill said,
The second is that you not bother with the so-called
'compost starters' 'compost innoculant'withces brews. They just isnt'
needed. At most, they might shave 2-3 days off the first batch. For the
second and subsequent batches you will always have a small amount of the
previous batch to add as an innoculant if you are so inclined. The bacteria
you need are already present on/in the material you will be composting.
Unless you live in a sterile biosphere, let nature handle matters. I
usually add a couple shovels full of the old material just to give things a
kick start. But even that isn't necessary.

True but it wont hurt. I always include a shovelful or two aof dirt when I
add leaves to my pile. That way I am introducing innoculants. I have noticed
that that it very important to getting the pile cooking.

Ed