Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
simy1

Default Stunted, yellowish veggies

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...
midocr said:

Four years, and no more compost added?

I think next fall you had better get another load of compost brought in.
And plan for it at least every other year. Either that, or start collecting
leaves in the fall (you know, the ones your neighbors have conveniently
bagged for the township to collect) and till them in before winter. Add
some manure or alfalfa pellets at the same time, if you can.

you tell him, Pat. It could be a number of things, but the fact that
it did well for two years points to what Pat says. Let me also guess
that the flower beds, which are getting the kitchen compost (the most
fertile compost there is), are doing great also. If that is the case,
even leaves won't do - they are great for texture but low in
nutrients. Bring in a truckload of manure. It is best to manure each
bed every second year *once they have some fertility* (so not for the
next three years), but manure some bed every year, and rotate around
heavy and light feeders accordingly.