Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Rich McKinney

Default Compost Questions

A lot of depends on how well the compost is "finished". If it comes out
looking just like the commercial topsoil you buy, it is great for most
crops. Check the PH, as another poster mentioned, to be sure.

My stuff comes out much more coarse. It needs to be tilled into soil to be
suitable. Even the coarse stuff is a great improvement. I have a great
example.

Two years ago I bought this house in NC. The first year, I only planted
along the back fence. That area I side dressed my peppers and tomatos with
my compost. Last year I was in Iraq with the Army, so nothing was done.
This year, I planted the full garden, and sowed Grain Sorgum as a cover crop
in the area I did not plant. As of last week, the Cover crop in the main
garden area was about 12" tall. The cover crop in the area where I had
added the compost is about 24" tall.

Rich