Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
dave weil

Default Are we offline these days?

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:31:50 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

I'm here -- and so are the Japanese beetles, sigh.

Yep, here as well. Funy thing is, they are probably starving since for
some reason, I don't have a lot of blooms at the moment.

The good news is that we finally had some rain here (2" last Sunday and
another 2" on Friday) -- I was getting really tired of seeing how much
"official" rain was measured at the Raleigh-Durham airport, grrr! (They
would show 1.5" when I had .10 -- not to mention that my soil is entirely
sand!)

The bad news for me is that we had a storm last week and my dead maple
tree with the Cecile Brunner blew over. One piece of good luck though.
It fell the right way for the rose to suffer minimum damage. Had it
fallen the other way, it would have snapped and crushed the main
canes. Now, instead of an upright rose, I'm going to have a pretty
impressive large bush.

Here are the photos.

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/cecile_brunner

I threw in the obligatory cat shot as well...
BTW, when I deadheaded the roses are week or so ago, some flowers had
actually dried up before they even fully opened (and the buds had a nasty,
brownish tinge on the outside) -- I assume that this is insect damage of
some sort? (from the inside)

I've had that as well.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC