Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
tbell

Default How to Hang Shade Cloth???

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:29:04 -0700, Lori Siegmund wrote
(in article ) :

Lori -
Your approach sounds very reasonable.
In Walnut Creek, where the ambient nocturnal low in Winter is in the
30's or 40's F, and the diurnal high in Summer is most often between 90 and
110š F, my little 8 x 10 GH is almost always between 50š and 90š.
I cover the roof and coved sides with 60% shadecloth from late May
through October, heat during the Winter nights with a thermostatically
controlled, 1500 Watt electric fan heater, cool during Summer days with a
thermostatically controlled exhaust fan, and keep the humidity at 60-70% with
a gravel floor and a very good misting system.
I had one devastating experience with a power failure while I was away
during an October hot spell, but have otherwise had pretty good luck with
Catts, Laelias, Dens, Oncs, Brassias, an ascoscenda, an angraecum, and in the
shady section (under a nearby orange tree), have a young Phrag and an
Aeranthis.
Hope this is helpful.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA