Old 05-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Lori Siegmund

Default How to Hang Shade Cloth???

Hi Everyone,

I am putting the finishing touches on my gh before moving my orchids
in to it. Shade Cloth.... what to do????

1. Is it best to suspend the cloth so that it does not lay
directly on the polycarbonate panels?

2. If so, can I get some ideas from some of you on how you
achieved this?

My gh is 15' X 16'. It has roof vents on each side (2' x 8') and they
are opened by solar-powered vent openers that lift them a maximum of
12" high. It also has side vents on each side (same dimensions as roof
vents).

I am probably going to go with Aluminet shade cloth. 50 or 60%
shading. Any one with experience with this type? Or, alternatively
using white shade cloth.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Lori

Aptos, CA (SF Bay Area)
Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
doug houseman

First if you use the aluminet - try to put it outside the greenhouse....

I cheat and have a frame of PVC pipe that I use to hide the greenhouse
inside of...

I fill the pipe with water to make it stay in place (I have a drain
using a clean out fitting on the end of one of the base pipes)

Then I hang the shade cloth on the frame ---

I left about 18 inches all around the green house from the frame.

I did not glue my frame together - so that I can disassemble it in the
fall and store it away from the Michigan winters.

Hope this helps.

doug

Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Ray

It's is usually better to provide an air space between the cloth and the greenhouse cover to allow
the dissipation of the heat that builds up. That can be done by placing pvc pipe (or some other
rod) at the roof-wall joins and at the peak, suspended about 6" or more above the glazing.

However, if you're looking at Aluminet, the heat buildup is supposed to be far less of an issue, so
may not need the spacing.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
tbell

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:40:00 -0700, Lori Siegmund wrote
(in article ) :

Hi Everyone,

I am putting the finishing touches on my gh before moving my orchids
in to it. Shade Cloth.... what to do????

1. Is it best to suspend the cloth so that it does not lay
directly on the polycarbonate panels?

2. If so, can I get some ideas from some of you on how you
achieved this?

Lori, I've lifted the shadecloth off the polycarbonate with a rig made from
3/4" PVC pipe and couplings, interrupting the pipe every 4' with a supportive
foot.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX

Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Lori Siegmund

Tom, Ray, Doug,

Thank you for your input. Sounds like I am envisioning the same thing
as all of you have described.

An alternative that was proposed to me by a contractor friend was
something like this:

__________
| /\ |
| / \ |
| / \ |
| | | |
| | | |
_____|_|____|_|________

The inner lines of this crude diagram is the gh. Bottom line is the
ground. The two lines parallel the the sides of the greenhouse are
metal poles (think flagpoles).There would be four metal poles (one
cemented in to the ground in each corner of the gh. The height of the
poles would be one foot above the roof peak of the gh. There would be
metal cable connected between each of the poles at the top. The each
side of the shade cloth would be attached a line of cable.

If you were looking down from a very tall tree, the shade cloth would
hang flat; suspended over the gh like this:
___________
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_________|

Essentially, this is constructing a shade structure around the gh. I
suppose I could then hang panels to shade the sides of the gh from the
same cable that is
helping to suspend each side of the top panel above the gh.

Have any of you seen this done? It sound extravagant and more
expensive to do than the other options presented by this forum.

Also, Tom (from Walnut Creek, CA) do you leave your shade cloth in
place all year around? What type of gh do you maintain (cool,
intermediate, warm) and what type of orchids are you growing?

Thanks!
Lori Siegmund

Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
wendy7

Hi Lori, I have my shade cloth structure set up like this but it covers my
entire back
yard.
Just remember to check the suns direction as the shade from the shade
cloth
doesn't always cover the area that you have the structure.???
Hope this makes sense?

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
doug houseman

Do the same thing with PVC pipe - and fittings - it will cost less...

Run a 3 inch in diameter pipe on the ground - at the end of the pipes
put "T" fittings facing up -

On the ends of the "T" fittings that are not needed for more length put
clean out plugs.

In the verticals of the "T" put in standard 3 inch pipe

If you have to go more than one pipe length high use an "X" or "T"
fitting to allow you to tie the verticals together.

When you are high enough

At the top use a "X" or a "T" fitting to again tie them together and to
allow another short pipe to run up to a standard 90 degree elbow. Run
pipe across the top of the green house.

Hang your shade cloth from it.

As you build the frame, fill it with water - this will add the weight
that you need to keep the wind and the weather from moving it.

PVC is cheaper than metal, cuts with a hand saw and can be force fit
without glue.

If you plan to leave it up year round - then glue the daylights out of
the frame - since mine has to come down in the winter (Michigan) - it is
not glued at all. I have to add some water every couple of weeks.

DO NOT add enough water to fill the pipes that cross the top of the
greenhouse - the sag is something you do not want to see.

Doug

Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
tbell

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:29:04 -0700, Lori Siegmund wrote
(in article ) :

Lori -
Your approach sounds very reasonable.
In Walnut Creek, where the ambient nocturnal low in Winter is in the
30's or 40's F, and the diurnal high in Summer is most often between 90 and
110š F, my little 8 x 10 GH is almost always between 50š and 90š.
I cover the roof and coved sides with 60% shadecloth from late May
through October, heat during the Winter nights with a thermostatically
controlled, 1500 Watt electric fan heater, cool during Summer days with a
thermostatically controlled exhaust fan, and keep the humidity at 60-70% with
a gravel floor and a very good misting system.
I had one devastating experience with a power failure while I was away
during an October hot spell, but have otherwise had pretty good luck with
Catts, Laelias, Dens, Oncs, Brassias, an ascoscenda, an angraecum, and in the
shady section (under a nearby orange tree), have a young Phrag and an
Aeranthis.
Hope this is helpful.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Lori Siegmund

Tom, Wendy, Doug...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the details of your
experience with shade cloth and how to hang. I am going to start
pricing the materials for the shade cloth frame and will let you know
what I end up with! I was hoping to have "orchid occupancy" in that
gh by June 1.... looks like it will be July 1 or shortly thereafter.

If only I didn't work full time.... it would get done so much faster!
But then, how would I pay for it all.... right????

Lori
Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Bob Walsh

Lori,

Those with experience with shadecloth,not me, may offer some input on the
possibility of the cable, if you use it, fraying the cloth. If you go with
cable consider running it through plastic pipe or a hose.

Bob

"Lori Siegmund" wrote in message
om...
Tom, Wendy, Doug...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the details of your
experience with shade cloth and how to hang. I am going to start
pricing the materials for the shade cloth frame and will let you know
what I end up with! I was hoping to have "orchid occupancy" in that
gh by June 1.... looks like it will be July 1 or shortly thereafter.

If only I didn't work full time.... it would get done so much faster!
But then, how would I pay for it all.... right????

Lori

Source for shade canopies and shade cloth [email protected] North Carolina 0 06-05-2005 09:08 PM
Shade Cloth for Tomatoes? James Cubby Culbertson Gardening 6 22-03-2004 08:32 AM
shade cloth bb Orchids 16 05-11-2003 11:12 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM