Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Eric Hunt

Default unidentified orchid in bloom - link to photographs

James,

That's an easy one - Myrmecophilia (nee: Schomburgkia) tibicinis. One of the
easiest (if you have the space!) and prettiest Schombos/Myrmecos to grow.

It was reclassified in the last 10-15 years into a new genus due to the fact
that the pseudobulbs are hollow and in the wild, ant colonies form inside
the hollow bulbs - sort of a symbiotic relationship. Even in the greenhouse,
a big plant of M. tibicinis can become colonized by yard ants.

Nice flower!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"James Aldridge" wrote in message
Hi. Can anyone help me identify this beautiful orchid that is in about
min-bloom here in my Texas greenhouse. It was given to me by a friend.