Old 09-06-2004, 06:37 AM
V_coerulea

Default Toxic gases

My first thought is - regardless of the cause, how can you afford to stay in
the place, losing plants at that rate?. Secondly, the "air guys" are handing
you a line since the EPA has not established safe or acceptable levels for
any number of chemicals, 2,2,4-trimethylpentane among them. This chemical
is an additive and natural component of gasoline with all the properties you
think of when you think of "gasoline". It certainly can react chemically
with nitrate fertilizers. I doubt the isopropyl alcohol vapors in and of
themselves are causing much problem. But when you put a chemical soup
together, there's no telling what synergistic effects may happen. And if you
have 2,2,4-trimethylpentane as a contaminant (one of the many solvents used
in "fast construction" or modern materials) you undoubtedly have
formaldehyde (methanal) and others which not only interact with each other
but have to be affecting the health of any organism there including your
orchids. Of course, any interactions producing elthylene gas, or the gas
itself as one of your contaminants, is the immediate suspect. What chemicals
do you keep around the store to prevent senescense of cutflowers? Silver
nitrate? Cobalt chloride? You wouldn't have any help that naively waters the
plants with any of these treated waters rather than recycle it, since I
believe the EPA forbids the dumping of these chemicals (I should probably
check that before sticking my foot in my mouth here).
This is just a bunch of jumbled thoughts about your situation. I'm sure
there are many other possibilities I haven't mentionned. I hope someone
comes up with some help for you other than moving your business or
installation of some expensive air filter system. The air system may end up
being your best, and maybe only, choice.
Gary

"Ray" wrote in message
Hey folks. I received the following email, and thought I'd try to tap

into the brain power of the
group. What do you think is happening?

Hello, I am a retail florist in Stuart, FL 34997 Florida and am having a

problem with dying plants.
Initially, only my Orchids were dying. Now, although the orchids are still

dying (sometimes in less
than 24 hours the petals wither and fall off), other green plants (common

Ivy) are dying (although
it takes them much longer to turn yellow, dry out and wither).

I've done things like buying two orchids, taking one orchid home the other

in my store. The one at
home flourishes the one in the store dies. Orchids placed in other stores

in the plaza die also.

I had an air sample taken and it shows elevated levels of Trimathylpentane

(32 ppbv), Isopropyl
Alcohol (0.1 ppbv) to name a couple. My landlords' air guy says that they

are all within acceptable
levels for humans but I can not find any one that can tell me the

relationship these gasses might
create with plants.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on where to go to have a problem like

this diagnosed?

Thank you,

Richard Bucci

Country Club Florists, Inc.