Old 09-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Mike Patterson

Default We got tadpoles in our new pond! (considering Koi)

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:02:09 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Koi like clay. I add some bentonite clay to my pond to give the koi a
facial. As for depth, most of the ponds in the Richmond VA area are less
than 2 feet deep and that is more than adequate. Just be sure to keep a
hole open in the surface during the winter, and not let the pond

completely
freeze over for more than a day.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the local pet stores, to see if they
carry Koi. Not a whole lot of options up here.. I'm in the sticks.

Any idea if aquarium catfish would survive? We got a small on back in Nov,
and he's already 4 inches or more long. He's getting "jumpy" and we are a
little concerned about him managing to get out of the tank.

If I recall, catfish are very hardy, and will grow quite large given the
space.

FWIW, Koi are more expensive than plain old goldfish. Unless you just
-love- Koi, I'd go with the goldfish for a while until you're pretty
sure you have the pond thing down pat. Less fiscal risk.

My brother-in-law started with goldfish, and now after 2 years the
survivors are so pretty that he's not in the least interested in Koi.

I'm following his lead, though my pond has only been in "operation"
since February or so.

Some catfish will get HUGE given the space and food. I once
aquarium-raised a "mud" cat scooped from a creek from a tiny fry to
about 30 inches long. He finally died after about 4 years from unknown
causes. He looked healthy until the morning we found him floating
upside down.

While alive, he'd eat -anything- living that was put into his tank.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."