Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Gail Futoran

Default We got tadpoles in our new pond! (considering Koi)

"Gareee©" wrote
[snip]
Any idea if aquarium catfish would survive? We got a small

on back in Nov,
and he's already 4 inches or more long. He's getting

"jumpy" and we are a
little concerned about him managing to get out of the

tank.

If I recall, catfish are very hardy, and will grow quite

large given the
space.

Are you talking about the Corydoras species?
Most of them get to be between 2 - 3" in
length, and are tropical fish, and typically take
a year or longer to reach mature length. Check
out this page for more information:
http://www.corydorasworld.com/
or try
http://www.petresources.net/fish/catfish/catfish.html

I really wonder if what you have is the common
"aquarium catfish" (cory cat), rather you might have
a plecostomus or some other bottom feeder that
gets large.

At any rate, I wouldn't put a tropical fish in a
pond. Even if they survived for a warm season,
they'd probably die when temps got colder.
People have put plecos in ponds, but move
them inside for the winter. I've heard they're
really hard to catch, though.

Probably best to correctly identify your fish
first, then decide what to do with it.

Gail