Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
matrix j

Default Cicada Damage

They come out of the ground not out of the tree. I always dig up their
white pupae bodies when i am working underneath trees..as they come out
of the ground and climb up the tree to dry up their then moist brown
skin to shed...much like a butterfly.
(Cicadas develop underground for years going through different stages)

No tree damage here in the south as we have them every year.."it's a
myth"
....it's not quite summer without them and their different calls.
You may notice when the sun is setting that their calls change to more
like a long cry.

As kids we used to catch them.. tie strings on their bodies and fly them
like mini kites!
Btw cats luv em..and so do my large koi!

In fact one summer I collected about 13 of them in a pickle jar and then
thew them in my pond.

If you want to see koi beat each other up for a live meal then do as i
say....you will laugh as they will turn into mini sharks!

Don't know which they like the most as a summer treat...June bugs or
Cicadas..