Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Cicada Damage

I don't remember who it was last week that was talking about their cicada
damage, but I said I had none. I spoke to soon...

http://tinyurl.com/2nago

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Ka30P

Other than oooooo and aaaahhhh, I haven't paid too much attention to the actual
mechanics of it all. The females make slits in the wood, lay their eggs and
then the eggs lay dormat in the wood for 17 years. They emerge as fairly large
insects? Or do they drop to the ground like evil cherry fruit fly worms?

kathy :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Other than oooooo and aaaahhhh, I haven't paid too much attention to the

actual
mechanics of it all. The females make slits in the wood, lay their eggs

and
then the eggs lay dormat in the wood for 17 years. They emerge as fairly

large
insects? Or do they drop to the ground like evil cherry fruit fly worms?

As I understand the process is this...

Eat roots for 17 years
Come up, climb up tree
Shed shell, grow wings
Fly around crashing into stuff
Land on tree and screen, "HEY BABY COME AND GET IT" as loud as you can
Actually mate with a lady that is turned on by "HEY BABY COME AND GET IT"
screaned as loud as you can
Fall out of tree dead, or go fly into more stuff
Lady slits tree, lays eggs, falls out of tree dead
Eggs hatch, eat leaves, crawl down out of tree (kids are always smarter then
their parents when young)
Dig a hole
Wait 17 years
Lather
Rinse
Repeat

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Bonnie

Benign Vanilla wrote:

As I understand the process is this...

Eat roots for 17 years
Come up, climb up tree
Shed shell, grow wings
Fly around crashing into stuff
Land on tree and screen, "HEY BABY COME AND GET IT" as loud as you can
Actually mate with a lady that is turned on by "HEY BABY COME AND GET IT"
screaned as loud as you can
Fall out of tree dead, or go fly into more stuff
Lady slits tree, lays eggs, falls out of tree dead
Eggs hatch, eat leaves, crawl down out of tree (kids are always smarter then
their parents when young)
Dig a hole
Wait 17 years

BV.

That is what I thought. I knew they emerged from the ground
because I have perfectly round holes where they emerge ;-)
I eliminated the lathe and rinse because I don't think they
do that :-p
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
D Kat

"Bonnie" wrote in message
Benign Vanilla wrote:

[...]

But it isn't nearly as amusing.....

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
matrix j

They come out of the ground not out of the tree. I always dig up their
white pupae bodies when i am working underneath trees..as they come out
of the ground and climb up the tree to dry up their then moist brown
skin to shed...much like a butterfly.
(Cicadas develop underground for years going through different stages)

No tree damage here in the south as we have them every year.."it's a
myth"
....it's not quite summer without them and their different calls.
You may notice when the sun is setting that their calls change to more
like a long cry.

As kids we used to catch them.. tie strings on their bodies and fly them
like mini kites!
Btw cats luv em..and so do my large koi!

In fact one summer I collected about 13 of them in a pickle jar and then
thew them in my pond.

If you want to see koi beat each other up for a live meal then do as i
say....you will laugh as they will turn into mini sharks!

Don't know which they like the most as a summer treat...June bugs or
Cicadas..

Water Damage Clean up & Fire Damage Restoration ssammyy roy Gardening 0 19-05-2012 08:15 AM
[IBC] protecting trees from cicada damage Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 7 25-05-2004 11:04 AM
[IBC] cicada Lisa Miller Bonsai 3 12-04-2004 08:33 PM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
woodpeckers, grackles, etc Cicada wasps, Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 20-08-2003 11:02 AM