Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Andrew G

Default Good tree/shrub, long lasting for a first birthday

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use, I
am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

*Not to grow from seed, but already started, so can be bought in 4inch up,
pot.
*Will at least last the next 5yrs in a pot, no matter how big the pot must
be (as we aren't planning to live in this place for too long, so can be
moved)
*Even if it has to spend rest of it's life in pot.
*Preferably won't get a terminal disesase.
*When/if planted out, won't get too much larger than 4-5metres, with root
system suited to a yard situation.

I had a few in mind, say an orange tree, but don't like the idea of it being
too prone to disease. What about the Port Wine magnolia, a variety at work
that apparently doesn't get too taller than 3metres. Would that be any good
in a large pot. By large, I mean about 2foot ones, typical of those found on
patios, porches etc?
Camellias or Gardenias?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and climate is Mid North Coast (forster), NSW. Not direct sea spray, or
beach outlook, but can occasionaly get smell of salt air on still summer
nights.

Thanks again.