Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Andrew G

Default Good tree/shrub, long lasting for a first birthday

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use, I
am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

*Not to grow from seed, but already started, so can be bought in 4inch up,
pot.
*Will at least last the next 5yrs in a pot, no matter how big the pot must
be (as we aren't planning to live in this place for too long, so can be
moved)
*Even if it has to spend rest of it's life in pot.
*Preferably won't get a terminal disesase.
*When/if planted out, won't get too much larger than 4-5metres, with root
system suited to a yard situation.

I had a few in mind, say an orange tree, but don't like the idea of it being
too prone to disease. What about the Port Wine magnolia, a variety at work
that apparently doesn't get too taller than 3metres. Would that be any good
in a large pot. By large, I mean about 2foot ones, typical of those found on
patios, porches etc?
Camellias or Gardenias?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and climate is Mid North Coast (forster), NSW. Not direct sea spray, or
beach outlook, but can occasionaly get smell of salt air on still summer
nights.

Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
The Lady Gardener

"Andrew G" wrote in message
Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.

What a lovely idea - I have never had a lot of luck with Port Wine
Magnolias, they are rather temperamental for the West Aust climate. My
recommendation would be a Magnolia Grandiflora - yes they will grow huge if
you live long enough, but with love and attention and a change of potting
mix they will be happy in a large pot for 10 years or so, by which time you
may like to plant it in the ground. Mine has been in the ground for 23
years and is only really coming into its own now. Another suggestion would
be a cumquat tree - and think of the bonus marmalade.

Jflooz

Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Adrian

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:39:02 +1000, "Andrew G"
wrote:

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use, I
am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

There's a few species of Ginkgo Biloba that are about the right size /
growth habit, but I'm not sure about resistance to disease. Most
ginkgo will grow huge over hundreds of years, but there are quite a
few dwarf varieties.

Otherwise, not so interesting, but very practical: a bay tree!
They're slow growing, quite attractive, and always welcome in a winter
stew!

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 10-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Andrew G

wrote:

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use,

am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

There's a few species of Ginkgo Biloba that are about the right size /
growth habit, but I'm not sure about resistance to disease. Most
ginkgo will grow huge over hundreds of years, but there are quite a
few dwarf varieties.

Otherwise, not so interesting, but very practical: a bay tree!
They're slow growing, quite attractive, and always welcome in a winter
stew!

Cheers,
Adrian

Thanks to those who have helped.
Well I'm still thinking, maybe Ginko Biloba, a cumquat, or even the port
wine magnolia.
When I mentioned disease, I guess really your typical bugs and stuff are ok,
jut not one that will infest the chosen plant and basically it comes down to
nothing will help it.
I should have mentioned in my OP that I guess colour, flowers, or fruit
aren't TOO much of a concern. I know it sounds a little boring, but I guess
I'm after practicality.
If I can find out a port wine magnolia is a good one for a pot then I will
go for that.
We have them at work, both in pots and in the ground. Both have survived
well so far, about 3yrs, with the in ground ones in poor clay soil. Not
quite as close to the coastline as our house, but still close enough to hear
the waves during large seas and with correct wind, and even maybe a little
salty air.
I was thinking of a standard fig, in a pot. But that limits us to putting it
in the ground in the future, and I guess 18yrs down the track will start
looking like a bonsai standard.
I have already started a bonsai fig from tubestock for her birthday.

Thanks again

Old 17-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Christopher Smith

In article , Andrew G
wrote:

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use, I
am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

There is always the ubiquitous rose bush, with the added benefit of a
Œcuteč cultivar name (ŒAngel Faceč leaps to mind - quite a nice rose
too).

With a bit of care, it would outlast any of us...

Old 18-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Trish Brown

Christopher Smith wrote:

In article , Andrew G
wrote:

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use, I
am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

There is always the ubiquitous rose bush, with the added benefit of a
Œcuteč cultivar name (ŒAngel Faceč leaps to mind - quite a nice rose
too).

With a bit of care, it would outlast any of us...

LOL! Don't do what we did and plant a Lemon Scented Gum tree! The kid is nearly
thirty now and the tree is gigantonormous in our tiny suburban back yard!

Also, your daughter may be joined by siblings later, so you might want to choose
something of which you can have more than one?

Illawarra Flame Tree? Wheel of Fire Tree? Red-Flowering Gum Tree? Or one of the
prettier grevillea cultivars?
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 18-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Andrew G

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

LOL! Don't do what we did and plant a Lemon Scented Gum tree! The kid is

nearly
thirty now and the tree is gigantonormous in our tiny suburban back yard!

Also, your daughter may be joined by siblings later, so you might want to

choose
something of which you can have more than one?

Illawarra Flame Tree? Wheel of Fire Tree? Red-Flowering Gum Tree? Or one

of the
prettier grevillea cultivars?

Hi there, and thanks for the help.
Hmmm, more siblings? Well the way she is with teeth at the moment, and my
starting work at 5.30am, waking up bleary eyed, I dunno about that one. LOL,
nah, it's all good, and very much a good point you raise.
Thanks for the help, and we would have gone with a Eucalypt but not really
planning on living here for too much longer. Same town yes, but not the same
location.

Thanks again, and to all.

Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia