Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
The Lady Gardener

Default Good tree/shrub, long lasting for a first birthday

"Andrew G" wrote in message
Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.

What a lovely idea - I have never had a lot of luck with Port Wine
Magnolias, they are rather temperamental for the West Aust climate. My
recommendation would be a Magnolia Grandiflora - yes they will grow huge if
you live long enough, but with love and attention and a change of potting
mix they will be happy in a large pot for 10 years or so, by which time you
may like to plant it in the ground. Mine has been in the ground for 23
years and is only really coming into its own now. Another suggestion would
be a cumquat tree - and think of the bonus marmalade.

Jflooz