Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Bonnie

Default Wonderful world of Herons....

Sam Hopkins wrote:
I saw my third species of heron yesterday. It was a great blue heron.
I came upon it two days in a row now. The first day I spooked it and
it flew away into my neighbor's farm. The second time I spooked it and
it flew to the other side of the pond. I got my binoculars and watched
it watching me. After a few minutes I saw it re-enter the pond and
start to look for fish, frogs, etc. It looked like a grey/blue
flamingo. It was pretty neat. I'm sure it's picking off my nesting
fish though. I tried to get close and sneak up on it to get a picture
but it saw me behind the baby cheery trees and took off. They sure do
fly ungainly.

I've stumbled upon a Green Heron fishing once, and I've had to
opportunity to come across an endangered Yellow Heron as well. They
certainly are beautiful and interesting birds.

Sam

Hi Sam,
I am both thrilled and appauled when I see the herons. They
are lovely to watch but I hate it when they take my fish.
Isn't ponding great!
--
Bonnie
NJ