Old 09-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Wonderful world of Herons....

I saw my third species of heron yesterday. It was a great blue heron.
I came upon it two days in a row now. The first day I spooked it and
it flew away into my neighbor's farm. The second time I spooked it and
it flew to the other side of the pond. I got my binoculars and watched
it watching me. After a few minutes I saw it re-enter the pond and
start to look for fish, frogs, etc. It looked like a grey/blue
flamingo. It was pretty neat. I'm sure it's picking off my nesting
fish though. I tried to get close and sneak up on it to get a picture
but it saw me behind the baby cheery trees and took off. They sure do
fly ungainly.

I've stumbled upon a Green Heron fishing once, and I've had to
opportunity to come across an endangered Yellow Heron as well. They
certainly are beautiful and interesting birds.

Sam
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Bonnie

Sam Hopkins wrote:
I saw my third species of heron yesterday. It was a great blue heron.
I came upon it two days in a row now. The first day I spooked it and
it flew away into my neighbor's farm. The second time I spooked it and
it flew to the other side of the pond. I got my binoculars and watched
it watching me. After a few minutes I saw it re-enter the pond and
start to look for fish, frogs, etc. It looked like a grey/blue
flamingo. It was pretty neat. I'm sure it's picking off my nesting
fish though. I tried to get close and sneak up on it to get a picture
but it saw me behind the baby cheery trees and took off. They sure do
fly ungainly.

I've stumbled upon a Green Heron fishing once, and I've had to
opportunity to come across an endangered Yellow Heron as well. They
certainly are beautiful and interesting birds.

Sam

Hi Sam,
I am both thrilled and appauled when I see the herons. They
are lovely to watch but I hate it when they take my fish.
Isn't ponding great!
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Ka30P

Hey Sam!
Three species, you need to start a life list of birds! They are fascinating
critters. Hard on folks who are attached to their fish... ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 10-06-2004, 04:11 PM

We have those at our local National Wildlife refuge about a mile from our
home. There is one blue/gray Heron that hangs around the fishing piers.
The old-timers out there have named him. Whenever he sees a fisherman he
stands about 20 feet away waiting for a handout. They throw him a fish..he
catches it and GULP..GULP..down his long throat or flies across the water to
his roost. They are like Jurassic creatures.........the sounds they make
could be right out of Jurassic Park. MIKE

Old 11-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Mike Patterson

(Minor Epiphany) Ha! Crab Orchard!

In a younger and stupider life I once walked across the spillway
barefoot. It's a miracle I didn't earn a Darwin Award.

I used to go "snagging" in the pool at the bottom for buffalo.

Mike

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Hey Sam!
Three species, you need to start a life list of birds! They are

fascinating
critters. Hard on folks who are attached to their fish... ;-)

kathy :-)

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Old 11-06-2004, 03:04 PM

Mike How'd you guess??? LOL Yes..CRAB ORCHARD....BTW...I caught a 12 pound
carp a couple weeks ago at Crab on my 6 weight flyrod.. WHAT A FIGHT!!!
{:O) MIKE

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Hey Sam!
Three species, you need to start a life list of birds! They are

fascinating
critters. Hard on folks who are attached to their fish... ;-)

kathy :-)

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

wonderful world OT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 7 31-05-2007 12:39 PM
Lawn Ornaments/Cranes, Herons Barbara2245 Ponds 6 15-01-2004 03:22 PM
Herons Andrew Burgess Ponds 5 14-03-2003 12:57 AM
Ponds, Herons and Lil'uns Victoria Clare United Kingdom 13 28-01-2003 06:02 PM