Old 09-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Phisherman

Default Salt water to treat weeds?

On 9 Jun 2004 10:41:42 -0700, (john) wrote:

In the past I have used rock salt (from my water softener) to treat
unwanted plant growth coming up through my pavers. I would dilute it
with water, 1:4 in a 2 gallon spay bottle and go at it.

Although effective, I am curious to know if this is deleterious to the
pavers over time. I don't want to use herbicides because of children
and domestic pet considerations.

Would appreciate if anyone is willing to share info or experiences.

Thanx.

John

The salt will leach into other planted areas and ordinary salt (sodium
chloride) is not good for most plants and not good for concrete, brick
nor stone. Plus, you will get unsightly salt markings on your pavers.
RoundUp is safe for children and pets. Or you could use a propane
torch or boiling water.