Old 09-06-2004, 07:02 PM
john

Default Salt water to treat weeds?

In the past I have used rock salt (from my water softener) to treat
unwanted plant growth coming up through my pavers. I would dilute it
with water, 1:4 in a 2 gallon spay bottle and go at it.

Although effective, I am curious to know if this is deleterious to the
pavers over time. I don't want to use herbicides because of children
and domestic pet considerations.

Would appreciate if anyone is willing to share info or experiences.

Thanx.

John
Old 09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Frank Logullo

"john" wrote in message
om...
In the past I have used rock salt (from my water softener) to treat
unwanted plant growth coming up through my pavers. I would dilute it
with water, 1:4 in a 2 gallon spay bottle and go at it.

Although effective, I am curious to know if this is deleterious to the
pavers over time. I don't want to use herbicides because of children
and domestic pet considerations.

Would appreciate if anyone is willing to share info or experiences.

My wife damn near ruined sections of my walk this past year by over salting.
Salt, particularly, sodium chloride, is bad for concrete.
Frank

Old 10-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:40:23 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

The salt will leach into other planted areas and ordinary salt (sodium
chloride) is not good for most plants and not good for concrete, brick nor
stone. Plus, you will get unsightly salt markings on your pavers. RoundUp
is safe for children and pets. Or you could use a propane torch or
boiling water.

I agree with the majority of your post, but I have to strongly disagree
with the safety of roundup statement. A posion is a poison and with
children around, you can be sure that they will find a way to get into it.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Elaine Wald

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...

I agree with the majority of your post, but I have to strongly disagree
with the safety of roundup statement. A posion is a poison and with
children around, you can be sure that they will find a way to get into it.

Obviously you have no idea what constitutes a poison. Cretin.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Timothy

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:37:33 -0400, Elaine Wald wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...

I agree with the majority of your post, but I have to strongly disagree
with the safety of roundup statement. A posion is a poison and with
children around, you can be sure that they will find a way to get into
it.

Obviously you have no idea what constitutes a poison. Cretin.

Cretin eh..? All you can do is call me names but supply no proof of me as
being such? Where's your proof that round up isn't a controlled poison? So
if your child drinks roundup you shouldn't call poison control? Is round
up a new type of herbicide that isn't a poison. There is tons of
information on the fact that roundup is a poison, strange that I've only
found two references to the fact that it's "safe" for children and pets.
Weird how it destroys fish, frogs and other creatures.... but does nothing
to you and your children. I would assume that you need to stfu and stop
call people names Elaine. Your lack of self esteem is showing through......

See what Monsanto has to say about their own product:
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/mp23P011.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwh/c-soc/glyphosa.html
http://www.iowahealth.org/14430.cfm

Old 11-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:27:51 GMT, Timothy
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:40:23 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

The salt will leach into other planted areas and ordinary salt (sodium
chloride) is not good for most plants and not good for concrete, brick nor
stone. Plus, you will get unsightly salt markings on your pavers. RoundUp
is safe for children and pets.

I agree with the majority of your post, but I have to strongly disagree
with the safety of roundup statement. A posion is a poison and with
children around, you can be sure that they will find a way to get into it.

For any "chemical" substance, you will find those who warn of the
"dangers" involved. However, glysophate (RoundUp) is virtually
non-toxic to humans and pets. A child is *much* more likely to be
harmed by "getting into" aspirin, dish soap, or beer. The 'caution' on
the RoundUp label says to "keep out of the reach of children," and
that after *ingestion*, some irritation may occur.

http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/Glyphosate.html

Almost anything can be a "poison," if ingested in suffieicent
quantities, including water. Glysophate is an effective herbicide, not
a human poison.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Joe

On 06/09/2004 01:41 PM, john said:
In the past I have used rock salt (from my water softener) to treat
unwanted plant growth coming up through my pavers. I would dilute it
with water, 1:4 in a 2 gallon spay bottle and go at it.

Although effective, I am curious to know if this is deleterious to the
pavers over time. I don't want to use herbicides because of children
and domestic pet considerations.

Would appreciate if anyone is willing to share info or experiences.

Boiling water works good for me. I have a short sidewalk and it's
right outside my kitchen door, so when I'm making tea, it's easy to
step outside, and pour the extra hot water on whatever is growing
through the sidewalk cracks. Maybe it's not practical for a longer
sidewalk, but it works good for me.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 13-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Bob S.

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely right, Frogleg! For you others, check to see what they use
as the base chemical for comparing toxicity of all other chemicals.
The base is sodium chloride (common salt). Which, by the way is very
toxic to humans in anything other than trace amounts. And Glysophate
(roundup) is very near the bottom of the toxicity chart, not much
higher than water.

Bob S.

[IMG] code is On

Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer? HomeGuy Lawns 36 15-07-2014 01:01 AM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Salt in Pond to treat disease Waseem Ponds 2 11-05-2004 02:12 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM