Old 10-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Toxic gases

From the info in Ray's posting and 411.com.

Yes, I know. Duh. Anyway, here's what I learned today.

I spoke to Barbara Bucci (co-owner and wife of the man who originally sent
the email to Ray). For starters, the orchids are mostly Phals. Someone
mentioned carnations in this thread; interestingly, their carnations are
also having trouble, as well as alstromeria.

They have occupied this space since 1996, and their problems go back only
about 6 months or so. No new carpet, paint, or any other remodeling. They
are using the same wholesaler as before the problems began. Their neighbors
are an electronics repair store, a restaurant (diner type), a beauty salon
and some 'clean' office businesses. There is a farm stand, but it's about
450 feet away and does not share the actual building or the dumpsters.
There is no dry cleaner in the vicinity. They have installed filters and
done all kinds of other things to attempt to ameliorate the problem, with no
success.

One of my questions for her had to do with the proximity of the RR tracks,
which I knew were right around her location. As it happens, the tracks are
very close to the rear of the building, and there is a stream between the
building and the tracks. All of which leads me to wonder what might have
spilled out of one of those frequently passing freight cars. If I were in
their shoes I'd be on the phone to the EPA, asking for testing of water and
ground samples.

BTW, she was very grateful to know that we'd been discussing this. Small
world. I think Ray may have forwarded the responses, but she asked for them,
so I'm going to send them on as well.

Diana