Old 11-06-2004, 01:07 AM
RainLover

Default Bamboo containment - was Testing the waters -- new pond or three in my future

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:28:31 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:13:01 -0700, RainLover
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:09:05 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message

How large of a filter system will I need? (currently it's in direct sun,
but
I'm planning on a hill around part of the pond and bamboo plantings as
well.)

Isolate the Bamboo somehow, otherwise it'll just take over everything. It's
roots go down almost 2 feet, and it can actually also grow almost 2 feet a
day, in the right weather conditions.

We're looking at trying to remove a bamboo grove that is on our new property
here. We cut about a 5 ft by 20-30 ft swath out last fall, and it's mostly
already grown back, with 12 foot tall shoots.

That's actually on my schedule today.. web search for bamboo removal, and
see what is recommended...

Thanks for the advice. I'll actually be having approximately 20 different
species of bamboo on the property and proper care and feeding of the beast
already includes containing it. :-)

I use a 30" deep bamboo barrior to enclose the bamboo, plus a regiment of
yearly thinning.

I've seen a lot of people have it take over their yards and most bamboo can
actually come up through a 6" thick asphalt road.

James, Seattle

Wow. I'm impressed.

I want to plant some bamboo here in GA, was planning to plant it in a
30-gallon plastic washtub separated from other plants by 4-5 feet in
all directions, do you think that setup is adequate to contain it?

A plastic washtub may be just fine. It depends on the species of bamboo you
decide to go with. I would stick with something that only grew about 10' high
(some grows up to 60')... the main reason is to give the roots (rhizomes
actually) some room to grow.

If you use it and see something pop up in a few years, just dig up all the
rhizomes between the tub and the new growth and rethink your plan...

James, Seattle

www.jameskelseystudios.com