Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Mike Patterson

Default Bamboo containment - was Testing the waters -- new pond or three in my future

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:13:01 -0700, RainLover
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:09:05 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message
. ..

How large of a filter system will I need? (currently it's in direct sun,

but
I'm planning on a hill around part of the pond and bamboo plantings as

well.)

Isolate the Bamboo somehow, otherwise it'll just take over everything. It's
roots go down almost 2 feet, and it can actually also grow almost 2 feet a
day, in the right weather conditions.

We're looking at trying to remove a bamboo grove that is on our new property
here. We cut about a 5 ft by 20-30 ft swath out last fall, and it's mostly
already grown back, with 12 foot tall shoots.

That's actually on my schedule today.. web search for bamboo removal, and
see what is recommended...

Thanks for the advice. I'll actually be having approximately 20 different
species of bamboo on the property and proper care and feeding of the beast
already includes containing it. :-)

I use a 30" deep bamboo barrior to enclose the bamboo, plus a regiment of
yearly thinning.

I've seen a lot of people have it take over their yards and most bamboo can
actually come up through a 6" thick asphalt road.

James, Seattle

Wow. I'm impressed.

I want to plant some bamboo here in GA, was planning to plant it in a
30-gallon plastic washtub separated from other plants by 4-5 feet in
all directions, do you think that setup is adequate to contain it?

TIA
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Gareee©

wrote:

I want to plant some bamboo here in GA, was planning to plant it in a
30-gallon plastic washtub separated from other plants by 4-5 feet in
all directions, do you think that setup is adequate to contain it?

Hmm... bamboo has been known to push into garages, and push through concrete
driveways... Hmmmm.....

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:36:33 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I want to plant some bamboo here in GA, was planning to plant it in a
30-gallon plastic washtub separated from other plants by 4-5 feet in
all directions, do you think that setup is adequate to contain it?

Hmm... bamboo has been known to push into garages, and push through concrete
driveways... Hmmmm.....

Yabbut, my impression is that it exerts force seeking water sources,
I'm thinking that going sideways through an inert plastic wall it
would rather go up & over, where I'll see it. (That's how I "contain"
my Bermuda grass lawn.)

Or not... :-)

That's why I was asking the OP who seems to have some experience with
it.

Now I'm contemplating a double-walled 1/4" stainless steel drum with
hydrochloric acid in the void between the walls...and an electrified
mesh grid dome over the top so I can see the pretty plants.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Gareee©

"Mark Bannister" wrote in message

I think it was Heidlelberg Zoo (maybe not, anyway some zoo somewhere,

sometime, perhaps in a galaxy far, far away) that we saw bamboo escaping
and making sidewalks almost impassible by pushing it up and sending up
nice, sharp pointy growth. It was going underneath as well and invading
some other exhibit by passing under a concrete wall.

It's extremely aggressive. When I was working at Disney's Animal Kingdom, we
saw some species that were supposedly "containable" grow about a foot a DAY!
(Disney created a great waste water recycling system, but didn't create
cutoffs for smaller areas. The Bamboo was getting watered in the wee hours,
and was rampant.)

Fortunately, they poured VERY thick concrete planters/walkways, and it could
not go beyond it's planter, since that's all the soil there was.

Do some web searching, and you'll find horror story after horror story from
people who added some bamboo, and thought they could contain it. (I ran
across many yesterday, when searching for bamboo removal.)

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM

Don't give up on bamboo. There are very many varities that are NON-RUNNING.
There are CLUMPING Bamboos that are just fine. Do some research before you
give up on bamboo. I have a Clumping Variety in the same spot for 5 years
and hasn't grown anymore than a regular clumping ornamental grass. I also
have a running bamboo ...LOL That's another story. {:O) Thanks Mike

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Janet

What kind of bamboo do you want to plant?? Some species are more invassive
than others as well as some are clump types and some are runners. My
research before planting my bamboo grove was this.... 24 inch root barrier
at least 2 inches above ground. We also picked a variety of species that is
known to be not so invassive along with a clump variety... Google for bamboo
root barrier... there is a commercially available product that is supposed
to work well according to my contacts a the hoticultural school.
Janet in warm and muggy Niagara Falls

Old 11-06-2004, 01:07 AM
RainLover

wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message

[...]

A plastic washtub may be just fine. It depends on the species of bamboo you
decide to go with. I would stick with something that only grew about 10' high
(some grows up to 60')... the main reason is to give the roots (rhizomes
actually) some room to grow.

If you use it and see something pop up in a few years, just dig up all the
rhizomes between the tub and the new growth and rethink your plan...

James, Seattle

www.jameskelseystudios.com