Old 11-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Bernie

Default [IBC] acer leaf clipping

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:00eb01c44e60$143103c0$9c102cc7@pavilion...
Wow! I just got my first Acer the other day. It's still a

baby. But I
never read anything about clipping leaves. Where did you find

that
instruction?

Since it is "still a baby" I suggest you forget you ever heard of
leaf stripping at least until it reaches late adolescence.

Meanwhile, keep on reading; because I can't think of a book on
bonsai that doesn't cover it in some detail.

Good advice, there. "read twice, clip once ;-)"

I wouldn't leaf-clip an acer that didn't have a trunk at least a thumb
in thickness; that had been repotted this season; that hadn't been
fertilized in the past quarter; that wasn't vibrantly healthy.

Look for Peter Adams' book on maples; some good direction there.

Key point: if you defoliate, you should really prune at the same time.
Cut that new growth back to the first set of nodes. Then you will
achieve more compact appearance and enhanced illusion of maturity.

Have fun!

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Who suggests
that you can NOT learn bonsai on the Internet.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++