Old 09-06-2004, 08:10 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] acer leaf clipping

Defoliation is covered extensively in the archives.

It is usually used only for trees that are already bonsai and consists
of cutting the leaf stems. This is done once the first flush of spring
leaves have hardened. It forces the tree to produce new leaves and these
are smaller. It stresses the tree somewhat and should only be done on a
healthy, vigorously growing specimen. It is also unwise to do it in
consecutive years as the tree will be weakened.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 09-06-2004, 09:05 PM
martyhab

Kev- Although "defoliation" usually implies complete removal of leaves,
my experience has been that partial defoliation has its value too. By
removing leaves which cover other leaves, hanging leaves, and sprouts, one
may be able to have a tidier tree without significant stress. Of course,
there is the argument that partial defoliation forces unwanted growth in the
remaining foliage. There is something to be said for that: but I still like
the process as against total defoliation.
Marty

--

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Jim Lewis

Wow! I just got my first Acer the other day. It's still a
baby. But I
never read anything about clipping leaves. Where did you find

that
instruction?

Since it is "still a baby" I suggest you forget you ever heard of
leaf stripping at least until it reaches late adolescence.

Meanwhile, keep on reading; because I can't think of a book on
bonsai that doesn't cover it in some detail.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who suggests
that you can NOT learn bonsai on the Internet.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Kitsune Miko

Jim is right. Do take baby steps with baby trees.
Read how to devlope and maintain growth for a couple
of years or more. Then will give you the best
possible bonsai. Some of the seedlings I bought 15 to
20 years ago are getting close to being bonsai. I
worked on caliper then nebari. Now I am working to
get that wonderful branching pattern you see on the
trees in the Japanese magazines. I defoliated then
this year for the first time.

Kitsune Miko
--- Jim Lewis wrote:
Wow! I just got my first Acer the other day.

It's still a
baby. But I
never read anything about clipping leaves. Where

did you find
that
instruction?

Since it is "still a baby" I suggest you forget you
ever heard of
leaf stripping at least until it reaches late
adolescence.

Meanwhile, keep on reading; because I can't think of
a book on
bonsai that doesn't cover it in some detail.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
Who suggests
that you can NOT learn bonsai on the Internet.

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
Besides learning to see, there is another art to be learned -- not to see what is not

The eye that directs the needle in the delicate meshes of embroidery will equally well bisect a star with the spider web of the micrometer. M. Mitchell

We cannot take anything for granted, beyond the first mathematical formulae. Quetion everything else.

Maria Mitchell, scientist, astronomer, suffragette

Old 11-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Bernie

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:00eb01c44e60$143103c0$9c102cc7@pavilion...
Wow! I just got my first Acer the other day. It's still a

baby. But I
never read anything about clipping leaves. Where did you find

that
instruction?

Since it is "still a baby" I suggest you forget you ever heard of
leaf stripping at least until it reaches late adolescence.

Meanwhile, keep on reading; because I can't think of a book on
bonsai that doesn't cover it in some detail.

Good advice, there. "read twice, clip once ;-)"

I wouldn't leaf-clip an acer that didn't have a trunk at least a thumb
in thickness; that had been repotted this season; that hadn't been
fertilized in the past quarter; that wasn't vibrantly healthy.

Look for Peter Adams' book on maples; some good direction there.

Key point: if you defoliate, you should really prune at the same time.
Cut that new growth back to the first set of nodes. Then you will
achieve more compact appearance and enhanced illusion of maturity.

Have fun!

Old 11-06-2004, 06:10 AM
mad sweeney

On 10 Jun 2004 19:01:32 -0700, (Bernie) wrote:

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:00eb01c44e60$143103c0$9c102cc7@pavilion...
Wow! I just got my first Acer the other day. It's still a

baby. But I
never read anything about clipping leaves. Where did you find

that
instruction?

Since it is "still a baby" I suggest you forget you ever heard of
leaf stripping at least until it reaches late adolescence.

Meanwhile, keep on reading; because I can't think of a book on
bonsai that doesn't cover it in some detail.

Good advice, there. "read twice, clip once ;-)"

I wouldn't leaf-clip an acer that didn't have a trunk at least a thumb
in thickness; that had been repotted this season; that hadn't been
fertilized in the past quarter; that wasn't vibrantly healthy.

in such a case, what time in or around june would you recomend?

Look for Peter Adams' book on maples; some good direction there.

thank you, i will

Key point: if you defoliate, you should really prune at the same time.
Cut that new growth back to the first set of nodes. Then you will
achieve more compact appearance and enhanced illusion of maturity.

Have fun!

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Who suggests
that you can NOT learn bonsai on the Internet.

no, but there's a lot of fine minds to pick on the subject!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
acer leaf clipping mad sweeney Bonsai 1 09-06-2004 05:08 PM
[IBC] trident maple leaf clipping Kitsune Miko Bonsai 8 14-03-2004 09:03 PM
trident maple leaf clipping MadSweeney Bonsai 0 14-03-2004 04:37 AM
grass clipping mulch Dave Allyn Edible Gardening 9 28-05-2003 02:44 PM