Old 11-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Bernie

Default [IBC] acer leaf clipping

mad sweeney wrote in message . ..
On 10 Jun 2004 19:01:32 -0700, (Bernie) wrote:

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:00eb01c44e60$143103c0$9c102cc7@pavilion...
Wow! I just got my first Acer the other day. It's still a

baby. But I
never read anything about clipping leaves. Where did you find

that
instruction?

Since it is "still a baby" I suggest you forget you ever heard of
leaf stripping at least until it reaches late adolescence.

Meanwhile, keep on reading; because I can't think of a book on
bonsai that doesn't cover it in some detail.

Good advice, there. "read twice, clip once ;-)"

I wouldn't leaf-clip an acer that didn't have a trunk at least a thumb
in thickness; that had been repotted this season; that hadn't been
fertilized in the past quarter; that wasn't vibrantly healthy.

in such a case, what time in or around june would you recomend?

Depends onenvirons. In SF Bay region, I start in early June with trees
that get more shade; late June with those that get more sun. That's
for cool summer, windy & often cloudy weather.

Also, BTW, I've only ever leaf-clipped generic acer palmatums; I don't
think any exotic cultivars will respond very well.

Have fun!