Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 AM
HPBudlong

Default tree root problem

I have a ficus and some other tree I can't identify with several thin trunks,
which were planted too close to the house by the previous owner.

The roots - and I can't tell from which tree really flourished this year, and
appear to have grown under the 3 ft wide concrete walkway forcing it upward,
and which has now cracked. Presumably the roots have continued on and are
growing under the foundations. I am concerned that there will be a problem with
the house foundations, as we are pretty much on concrete like soils, so the
roots can't go down. I also have a pepper tree whose roots appear to have grown
30 odd feet and are approaching the house.

I am wondering if I can just some how cut the roots so they don't continue to
grow under the house or am I going to have to cut the trees down?
Helen