Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 AM
HPBudlong

Default tree root problem

I have a ficus and some other tree I can't identify with several thin trunks,
which were planted too close to the house by the previous owner.

The roots - and I can't tell from which tree really flourished this year, and
appear to have grown under the 3 ft wide concrete walkway forcing it upward,
and which has now cracked. Presumably the roots have continued on and are
growing under the foundations. I am concerned that there will be a problem with
the house foundations, as we are pretty much on concrete like soils, so the
roots can't go down. I also have a pepper tree whose roots appear to have grown
30 odd feet and are approaching the house.

I am wondering if I can just some how cut the roots so they don't continue to
grow under the house or am I going to have to cut the trees down?
Helen
Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Mike LaMana

It is unlikely that the roots of the tree are under the foundation, tho' it
is possible. I would have a consulting arborist come out and inspect. It may
be possible to cut some of the roots without doing appreciable damage to the
tree, but it is a very tricky and sometimes unpredictable operation. As for
your walk you will need to fix or re-pave it - I would get the arborists
advice on how to do this as well.

The question you need to answer is how highly do you value your trees? EMail
me off list and I'll refer you to someone.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 12-06-2004, 03:03 PM
how

"HPBudlong" wrote in message
snips
I have a ficus and some other tree I can't identify with several thin

trunks,
The roots have grown under the 3 ft wide concrete walkway
which has now cracked. Presumably the roots have continued on and are
growing under the foundations.
also have a pepper tree whose roots appear to have grown
30 odd feet and are approaching the house.
I am wondering if I can just some how cut the roots so
or am I going to have to cut the trees down?
Helen

Hi,
The other tree with several thin trunks could be another species of ficus,
there are many and others are also problems around concrete. Cutting the
roots can lead to other problems and would have to be done regularly.
Depending on how close to the trunk the roots would have to be cut could
lead to the tree becoming unstable in winds. Consider removeing these trees
or keep them cut to about eight feet tall as a large shrub, they will be a
pain keeping them at this height also but probably would not be much trouble
to your foundation.
The 'pepper' tree, assuming Schinus terebinthifolius is a prime canidate for
the saw. http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/schinus.html
HTH, -_- how
to reply- no NEWS is good

Old 12-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Paulo

I do not know much about but I know ficus can be quiet destructive because
roots doesnt grow deep, rather run on the surface getting really huge. The
best location for this kind of trees is away to any construction.

--
Paulo
"how" wrote in message
"HPBudlong" wrote in message
snips
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
Tree Root Problem cover Lawns 25 16-08-2006 12:12 AM
New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
Root problem Jo M Gardening 1 02-06-2003 06:08 AM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM