Old 12-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Peter

Default Please help! My Passiflora is poorly.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:19:00 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

snip

Last year the plant was healthy. It threw up suckers as far away as
eight feet from the main plant. Was it happy or trying to escape?

Seriously, as has been out habit we cut back the plant to about
eighteen inches last autumn and protected it with bubble plastic
throughout the winter. Currently the new growth is about fifteen
inches tall and growing fast. However we have a number of normal
looking shoots but an equal number of shoots with much darker and
slightly crumpled leaves. The distant (unwelcome) suckers look
healthy.

snip

We have had a passiflora for 2 years. Last year it grew like mad,
about 30', no suckers. This year we had a slight amount of die back,
but now it is going mad, new growth and flower buds all over, and no
suckers.

We have an evergree one that is hardy. Maybe you have a non-hardy one.
John
In limine sapientiae

Thank you John,

Do I understand that you do not cut back in the late autumn but let
natural die-back do the pruning for you?

Peter