Old 12-06-2004, 03:03 PM
how

Default tree root problem

"HPBudlong" wrote in message
snips
I have a ficus and some other tree I can't identify with several thin

trunks,
The roots have grown under the 3 ft wide concrete walkway
which has now cracked. Presumably the roots have continued on and are
growing under the foundations.
also have a pepper tree whose roots appear to have grown
30 odd feet and are approaching the house.
I am wondering if I can just some how cut the roots so
or am I going to have to cut the trees down?
Helen

Hi,
The other tree with several thin trunks could be another species of ficus,
there are many and others are also problems around concrete. Cutting the
roots can lead to other problems and would have to be done regularly.
Depending on how close to the trunk the roots would have to be cut could
lead to the tree becoming unstable in winds. Consider removeing these trees
or keep them cut to about eight feet tall as a large shrub, they will be a
pain keeping them at this height also but probably would not be much trouble
to your foundation.
The 'pepper' tree, assuming Schinus terebinthifolius is a prime canidate for
the saw. http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/schinus.html
HTH, -_- how
to reply- no NEWS is good