Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 PM
madgardener

Default What Cicadas?

Bill that looks like Fairy Holler a couple of weeks ago. Were you almost
deafened by the sounds of their "machinery"? And the DAMAGE............my
poor trees, shrubs....oy vey!! (sounds of my gnashing teeth and wringing
hands) but Mom's Nature has a wicked sense of humor and a plan. The female's
slicing and laying of 600 eggs in 24 clutches has effectively pruned the
ends of every tree and shrub in the area affected here in Southeastern
Tennessee. You can look upwards and see the dead twigs and leaves on ALL the
trees around me. My crape myrtles, beauty berry, Cornelian cherry, Yoshino
cherry, Kousa dogwood, dogwood,Vitex and Althea are all decimated and sliced
to horrible proportions. I am pruning the Vitex severely and sacrificing
what few blossoms would have been here after the carnage. Your pictures
were dead on. I could load the last three on the first page, but the first
mass of them was exactly what I had too for WEEKS
maddie up in Fairy Holler
"Bill R" wrote in message
BroJack wrote:
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

Jack

Jack,

I really think you lucked out. We had BILLIONS in my area.
They were annoying, noisy, and now that they are dying,
they stink to high heaven.

To get an idea of the number in my area, take a look at this
page from my web site:
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage5.htm

The first picture gives you an idea of the number of Cicadas
we had. It was taken early one morning at the base of one
of my apple trees and is typical of what we seen around my
area.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850