Old 12-06-2004, 03:03 PM
BroJack

Default What Cicadas?

My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

Jack
Old 12-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Vox Humana

"BroJack" wrote in message
news.com...
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

I live in Ohio. Much of the news comes from Columbus and Cincinnati. Both
cities are well within the brood X cicada zone. Therefore, if you listen to
the news you get the impression that the entire state is experiencing
cicadas. In reality, the area that I live in is in a different brood zone
and therefore we have only a few cicadas this year and are scheduled for an
emergence of another brood in 2008. The NW part of the state isn't in any
cicada zone. My sister lives along Lake Erie and she doesn't have any
cicadas. If you look into it, you may find that your news is coming from an
area of your state that has cicadas and that you are in a zone with a
different brood or none at all.

Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
John McGaw

"BroJack" wrote in message
news.com...
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

Jack

The brood seems to be highly localized in my area. At a friend's house the
other day I found every plant and building comvered with them and the ground
looked like some maniac had been busily drilling holes in the ground
everywhere. Six miles away at my house there hasn't been any sign of them. A
couple of weeks ago I was driving around in the Miata with the top down and
noticed that the sound came and went in small pockets and even 200 yards
away it might be silent while the current location sounded like thousands of
dentist's drills.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Bill R

BroJack wrote:
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

Jack

Jack,

I really think you lucked out. We had BILLIONS in my area.
They were annoying, noisy, and now that they are dying,
they stink to high heaven.

To get an idea of the number in my area, take a look at this
page from my web site:
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage5.htm

The first picture gives you an idea of the number of Cicadas
we had. It was taken early one morning at the base of one
of my apple trees and is typical of what we seen around my
area.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 PM
madgardener

Bill that looks like Fairy Holler a couple of weeks ago. Were you almost
deafened by the sounds of their "machinery"? And the DAMAGE............my
poor trees, shrubs....oy vey!! (sounds of my gnashing teeth and wringing
hands) but Mom's Nature has a wicked sense of humor and a plan. The female's
slicing and laying of 600 eggs in 24 clutches has effectively pruned the
ends of every tree and shrub in the area affected here in Southeastern
Tennessee. You can look upwards and see the dead twigs and leaves on ALL the
trees around me. My crape myrtles, beauty berry, Cornelian cherry, Yoshino
cherry, Kousa dogwood, dogwood,Vitex and Althea are all decimated and sliced
to horrible proportions. I am pruning the Vitex severely and sacrificing
what few blossoms would have been here after the carnage. Your pictures
were dead on. I could load the last three on the first page, but the first
mass of them was exactly what I had too for WEEKS
maddie up in Fairy Holler

Old 13-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Bill R

madgardener wrote:
Bill that looks like Fairy Holler a couple of weeks ago. Were you almost
deafened by the sounds of their "machinery"? And the DAMAGE............my
poor trees, shrubs....oy vey!! (sounds of my gnashing teeth and wringing
hands) but Mom's Nature has a wicked sense of humor and a plan. The female's
slicing and laying of 600 eggs in 24 clutches has effectively pruned the
ends of every tree and shrub in the area affected here in Southeastern
Tennessee. You can look upwards and see the dead twigs and leaves on ALL the
trees around me. My crape myrtles, beauty berry, Cornelian cherry, Yoshino
cherry, Kousa dogwood, dogwood,Vitex and Althea are all decimated and sliced
to horrible proportions. I am pruning the Vitex severely and sacrificing
what few blossoms would have been here after the carnage. Your pictures
were dead on. I couldn't load the last three on the first page, but the first
mass of them was exactly what I had too for WEEKS

maddie up in Fairy Holler

Maddie,

The Cicadas are just starting to do their damage around
here. Some of the neighbors have quite a bit of damage to
their new shrubs. I'll take a few picture and post them on
my web site.

P.S. The reason that you could not load some pictures this
afternoon was because I was working on my web site (It
rained all day so I couldn't work in the garden). They
should all load O.K. now and for anyone that wants to see
what Cicadas look like the link is:
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage1.htm

Old 13-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Frank Logullo

"BroJack" wrote in message
news.com...
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

Same here. DE was supposed to be in the thick of it. Have not seen or
heard a single one ;(
Frank

Old 13-06-2004, 02:02 AM
TOM KAN PA

We weren't supposed to get any and we didn't. Looked like our experts knew what
they were talking about.

Old 13-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Joe

On 06/12/2004 09:36 AM, BroJack said:
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

There are a few areas near me in central NJ where they are really
impressive. If I didn't go through those areas, I'd be wondering
what all the hype was about, but now I know. Where they are out in
force, it really is a sight to see (or hear!).

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlif.../cicada_3.html

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 13-06-2004, 03:02 AM
BroJack

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:49:46 -0400, Joe wrote:

On 06/12/2004 09:36 AM, BroJack said:
My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

There are a few areas near me in central NJ where they are really
impressive. If I didn't go through those areas, I'd be wondering
what all the hype was about, but now I know. Where they are out in
force, it really is a sight to see (or hear!).

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlif.../cicada_3.html

I saw it in 1970. Oh man, they came through the driver side car
window and went out the passenger side window. They were everywhere
that year.

Jack

Old 13-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Amy D

Bill R wrote:
BroJack wrote:

My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my
property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the
peeps who forecast weather.

Jack

Jack,

I really think you lucked out. We had BILLIONS in my area. They were
annoying, noisy, and now that they are dying, they stink to high heaven.

To get an idea of the number in my area, take a look at this page from
my web site: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage5.htm

The first picture gives you an idea of the number of Cicadas we had. It
was taken early one morning at the base of one of my apple trees and is
typical of what we seen around my area.

Awesome pictures! Glad they aren't here.

amy

Old 13-06-2004, 05:02 AM
techrat

The peepers are always right on. They tell of warm days. I have never seen
it snow when the peepers said warm and sunny weather is here, have you?
news.com...

Old 15-06-2004, 03:02 PM

we can expect a brood n 2007 here in S. wisconsin.

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"BroJack" wrote in message
tnews.com...
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 16-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Josh

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

I live in Ohio. Much of the news comes from Columbus and Cincinnati.

Both
cities are well within the brood X cicada zone. Therefore, if you listen

the news you get the impression that the entire state is experiencing
cicadas. In reality, the area that I live in is in a different brood zone
and therefore we have only a few cicadas this year and are scheduled for

an
emergence of another brood in 2008. The NW part of the state isn't in any
cicada zone. My sister lives along Lake Erie and she doesn't have any
cicadas. If you look into it, you may find that your news is coming from

an
area of your state that has cicadas and that you are in a zone with a
different brood or none at all.

A few cicadas? ) . I haul trees daily from the Lake down into Columbus &
Cincy, when I get down around the reststop around Polaris Pkway on 71, I
think my truck is making a funny noise. One stop at the reststop, and you
will surely step on a few dozen just walking the sidewalk. I must say Cincy
isn't as bad. Around the Lake, I have yet to see or hear one.

[IMG] code is On

Cicadas Drive Mowers Buggy - AVOIDING CICADAS chagoi Ponds 2 09-06-2004 03:16 PM
Cicadas Jean Gardening 0 05-06-2004 05:03 AM
OT - Cicadas Bonnie Ponds 0 27-05-2004 03:15 PM
Cicadas are emerging Bonnie Ponds 34 26-05-2004 05:20 PM
Periodic Cicadas was New Garden from Lawn Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 2 10-05-2004 12:02 PM