Old 14-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Bonsai from seeds

In a message dated 6/13/2004 6:49:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Hello, I was wondering how does one go about keeping the size of a
seedling down after it starts to grow. If I leave it..I'm sure it will
grow into its natural shape, a full sized tree. Do I just let it grow and
then prune the roots in early spring or late winter? Also, if I cut any
branches, will the trunk make new ones? Can I do something to encourage it
to make more branches and twigs? Any help would be appreciated.

The answer to most specific Bonsai questions usually depends upon the
species of plant in question. The growth of a seedling can frequently be
controlled with light, fertilizer and water. Usually the more light a plant gets
the more compact it will be. Don't over fertilize or overwater. Keeping the
plant in a small, shallow container will also slow growth.
BUT, a seedling grown this way will take 20 years or more to be a nice
Bonsai.
If you must start with seed, plant the seedling in the ground as soon
as it is large enough, let it get big and chop it back. This will result in a
Bonsai in 10 years.
Most of us buy plants others have spent time growing, or dig plants up
from the ground. A lot of Bonsai are started as cuttings which can give you
a head start.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislek of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++