Old 14-06-2004, 02:04 AM
paghat

Default Miniature Poppies

In article , "D.M." wrote:

Hi,

I was at the local herb farm the other day and noticed that the woman had
some miniature red poppies among her garden.
I asked where I could get some of these seeds and she told me that she got
them in Scotland. She was rather busy so I didn't get a chance to inquire
any further.
I have been searching the web but not having much luck.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!

There are a few scarlet cultivars of the California poppy, Eschscholzia
californica "Red," "Inferno," & "Scarlet Magic" are examples. Icelandic
poppies, already quite small, have dwarf strains that come in many colors,
usually oranges & yellows, but there is a bright red one rarely offered,
Papaver alpinum subspecies dubium. But really, there are so many tiny
specie-poppies, I doubt you'll find them without better hints. You could
sneak back when the flowers have turned to seedpods & whine & beg for one
seed pod.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"