Old 14-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Diane Epps

Default automatic watering - spray or leaky pipe ?

"NC" wrote in message ...

Hello from a regular lurker and very occaisional poster;

I'm considering installing a low pressure automatic watering system (eg.
Hozelock) for my vegetable garden. Reading old posts on Google suggests

the
systems work reasonably well.

I have about a dozen strips of veg, each around 5m*1.2m, typically

separated
by 1m grass strips (or in old measures, 16ft by 4ft, with nothing over 2ft
reach from the sides).

I'm not sure whether to use mini-sprayers or leaky-pipes.
Could anyone with experience of the systems comment on the pros and cons

of
the sprayers or leaky pipes.
Some indication of the spread area of the sprayers would be useful,
particularly the one which does a linear strip.

Looking at the Hozelock website, it appears the standard method of
connection is:
tap - timer - pressure restrictor - distribution.
If I put a length of "pressure" hose and fittings between the timer and
pressure restrictor, could I then start the measurements for maximum

lengths
from the pressure restrictor ?

Separately, I have a number of patio pots, troughs, etc. (mostly tomatoes
and herbs). I assume a trickle system is the best for them, and I would
expect to run this from a separate tap/regulator/timer.

Many thanks for any answers.

- Nigel

I have been using a leaky pipe in my glasshouse for a couple of years now .
It is on a timer and does half an hour morning and evening which seems to be
ok. It is easy to lay and connect.