Old 13-06-2004, 11:10 PM
NC

Default automatic watering - spray or leaky pipe ?

Hello from a regular lurker and very occaisional poster;

I'm considering installing a low pressure automatic watering system (eg.
Hozelock) for my vegetable garden. Reading old posts on Google suggests the
systems work reasonably well.

I have about a dozen strips of veg, each around 5m*1.2m, typically separated
by 1m grass strips (or in old measures, 16ft by 4ft, with nothing over 2ft
reach from the sides).

I'm not sure whether to use mini-sprayers or leaky-pipes.
Could anyone with experience of the systems comment on the pros and cons of
the sprayers or leaky pipes.
Some indication of the spread area of the sprayers would be useful,
particularly the one which does a linear strip.

Looking at the Hozelock website, it appears the standard method of
connection is:
tap - timer - pressure restrictor - distribution.
If I put a length of "pressure" hose and fittings between the timer and
pressure restrictor, could I then start the measurements for maximum lengths
from the pressure restrictor ?

Separately, I have a number of patio pots, troughs, etc. (mostly tomatoes
and herbs). I assume a trickle system is the best for them, and I would
expect to run this from a separate tap/regulator/timer.

Many thanks for any answers.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Old 14-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Diane Epps

"NC" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have been using a leaky pipe in my glasshouse for a couple of years now .
It is on a timer and does half an hour morning and evening which seems to be
ok. It is easy to lay and connect.

Old 14-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Stan The Man

In article , NC wrote:

I'm considering installing a low pressure automatic watering system (eg.
Hozelock) for my vegetable garden. Reading old posts on Google suggests the
systems work reasonably well.

I have about a dozen strips of veg, each around 5m*1.2m, typically separated
by 1m grass strips (or in old measures, 16ft by 4ft, with nothing over 2ft
reach from the sides).

I'm not sure whether to use mini-sprayers or leaky-pipes.

(snip)

There's another less well-known option which is easier to install and
works extremely well - Hozelock sprinkler hose. It comes in 7.5 and 15m
lengths and attaches directly to the hose and then, I suggest, to the
tap via a Hozelock AC1+ water timer. The sprinkler hose is actually a
flat hose with a series of sprinkler nozzles inset at regular intervals
along its full length. It produces a dramatic series of sprinkler
geysers approx 6ft high and 4-5ft wide along a row of plants,
delivering a very thorough watering indeed. It can also be used upside
down so that the spray soaks into the ground instead. Imho, it's better
than leaky/soaker/seep/porous hose because it doesn't have to be so
close to the plants to be effective - plus it can water two rows at
once if laid down the middle. And it's just as automatic as any system
controlled by a timer.

The Hozelock micro irrigation system is excellent too - and unbeatable
for pots, tubs, growbags, hanging baskets, specimen plants, etc - but
it takes a couple of hours to set up. I would use the sprinkler hose
for rows of plants - and it can be up and running in a few minutes.

Simon